Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Sarah sat in the bedroom of her apartment. The walls bare. The drapes gone. The painting in the trash. Everything gone. No personality. Just a colorless room. As soon as Toby and her had returned, she'd ripped down everything and painted the walls white. Now the room was a white void. No sign of him here. Sarah walked out of her room and into the living room. No sign of him there. No more would he haunt her. No more. Sarah glanced at her wedding gown hanging on the door of the closet. After fixing her room, she had changed it. No longer did it look like that dress. Now it was slender. Toby hadn't talked to her since they'd return. He couldn't understand why they'd left. Now he had to listen to his mother going on about wasting money and time looking for them.

Sitting on the sofa, Sarah glanced out her balcony doors. No barn owls sat on the railing. She'd expected him to show up, but he had not. Forget him. He tricked you remember. First he lied about Hoggle and then… Sarah shook her head. She rose and went into the kitchen. After pouring herself some tea, She glanced at the clock on the stove. 1:30 soon she had to leave for an appointment. Only three days. Three days. But Sarah couldn't think about Jason when Jareth kept coming into her mind. Shaking her head she put her glass in the sink and left the apartment. Not noticing the white barn owl sitting on the railing. Begging her to open the door and let him in.

Jareth sat on his throne surrounded by his subjects. His heart so low he though it would fall out of his body. She was going to marry him. He'd lost her. As he watched her leave her apartment he caught sight of the gown. Gone was the one like the gown ten years ago. He glanced up at Hoggle. Hoggle stood looking around him. Why was he there? He couldn't be thinking he'd allow him to leave. If Sarah didn't want the Underground then she wouldn't. "What is it, Hoggle?" Hoggle walked up to the king. He smiled. "Your majesty, you should have told her." Jareth rose and walked out of the throne room. Hoggle followed him. When they reached the entrance to the castle, Jareth stopped and turned to face his tormentor. "I know I should have, but I didn't. I say I've changed, but then I …" He hung his head. "I've lost her, Hoggle." Hoggle walked up to him. "Talk to her. You can ask Toby to wish us to the wedding. You can talk to her. Don't give up." Jareth looked at the little dwarf. Was this the same Hoggle who once coward before him? "Why are you helping me?" Hoggle looked around him. "Because I talked to Toby. He said the only time he has seen his sister truly happy has been with you. She loves you. Even I can see it." Jareth smiled. Hoggle was on his side and so it appeared was Toby. "I'll see if I can reach him. It might work. Hopefully I can talk to her."

Toby stood in his room looking at himself in his tux. Why was she marrying the jerk? She was in love with Jareth and even he knew it. Sarah didn't look at him like Jareth. He'd read enough fairy tales to know real love. Glancing at his reflection again, Toby stopped. There in the mirror was Jareth. Toby sat down hard on the floor. "Damn. Jareth, what…?!" Jareth looked at him. "Toby, I need your help." Toby smiled. "I'll do what I can."