Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Sarah sat looking at herself in her mirror. Slowly she reached her fingers to her lips. It had been hours since the kiss, but she could still feel it. Aurea had come and gone. She glanced at the bed behind her. Her mind raced with images. No one affected her like him. No one had her thinking these thoughts. She blushed. Running the brush through her hair one last time, Sarah looked at herself. Jason didn't make her feel like this and she was supposed to be marring him in two weeks. Two weeks. Did she still want to marry him? She hadn't really thought of him since she had come here. Sighing, she rose and pulled back the covers of her bed. It could wait till morning. She needed her sleep. Before she climbed under the covers, a knock came at her door. Grabbing the robe off the back of the vanity chair, Sarah headed toward the door.

Standing outside her door, was a torture. Maybe this wasn't the best idea. He should wait till morning. As he turned to leave, Sarah opened the door. He turned to face her. Jareth watched as Sarah walked out and looked at him. She looked at him. Her eyes a mixture. He walked toward her. "I need to talk to you." She nodded and walked back into her room. He followed her. She sat on her bed while he stood in front of her. Jareth looked into her eyes as she looked at him. Kneeling down in front of her, he took her hand into his. "Sarah, I'm sorry about…" His head lowered. He couldn't say it. He wasn't sorry. He felt Sarah's other hand reach under his chin. As she tilted his head up to look at her, Sarah smiled. "You're not sorry. I know that. I could have stopped it." She leaned down and kissed him. Jareth wrapped his arms around her and pushed her into the mattress. This was right. If she didn't choose him at least he would have this night in her arms.

Slowly Sarah woke up. She could hear the sound of a heat beating under her ear. Opening her eyes, she saw Jareth's sleeping face. His face was more relaxed in sleep. He looked younger than normal, too. Now she was sure. She didn't love Jason. She never did. But did Jareth love her or was he just using her? When she tried to get up, Sarah found Jareth had his arm around her. As she tried to move it so she could get dress, Jareth opened his eyes.

Lying with Sarah in his arms. How long had he dreamed of this? He felt her move. She was trying to get up. He opened his eyes to find her trying to move his arm. "Morning." Sarah looked at him and smiled. "Morning." He moved his arm so she could get up. Watching Sarah grab her nightgown off the floor and slipping it on, Jareth laid back down and closed his eyes. He didn't want to get up yet. She was his. No one else would have her. He had his queen. Opening his eyes, he watched as Sarah put on a dark blue everyday dress. Sarah faced the wardrobe and got out her shoes. She sat in the vanity chair as she put them on. Jareth sat up and swung his legs out from under the covers.

As he dressed, Sarah left the room. She walked down to the throne room. Hoggle stood inside with Toby. Sarah walked toward them. Hoggle looked over his shoulder at her and chased Toby off. He turned to face her. Sarah looked down at her friend and smiled. He didn't smile back. Sarah kneeled down. "Hoggle, what's wrong?" Hoggle looked into his friend's eyes. She looked the same, but she wasn't anymore. Now she was the Queen of the Goblins even if she didn't know. "I don't know to be happy or sad?" Sarah tilted her head. "What are you talking about?" Hoggle took her hand into his. "Ask Jareth. He'll tell you. He should have told you earlier." Hoggle walked away. Sarah rose and decided to find out what was going on. All the goblins were bowing to her as she past them. Something was wrong. But why did it all feel right?

Jareth stood in his bedchamber. He'd put on the pants he had on the night before and walked into his chambers. Now dressed in clean clothing, he would go look for Sarah. She didn't know things had changed. She wasn't Sarah Williams anymore. She was his queen. As he smiled to himself in his mirror, Sarah walked. He glanced at her reflection. "Yes, Sarah." He turned to face her. Her hair still tumbled down her back. She walked to him. "What is going on?" When she reached him, Jareth took her into his arms. "Don't worry it's something bad. The goblins are just showing you respect." Sarah looked up at him. "But why?" Jareth kissed the top of her head. "You're their queen, Sarah. Don't subject normally bow down to royal in your world."

Sarah pushed him away. "What?" She moved back toward the door. She was his queen because of last night. Oh, my lord Hoggle knew. Everyone knew. He hadn't told her. Tears began to fill her eyes. "You should have told me." Sarah looked at him. His head hung down. "Sarah." She turned and ran. As she raced out of the castle, Toby came walking up to her. "Sarah, what's wrong?" Sarah looked at her little brother. "We're leaving." Sarah grabbed Toby's hand. "SARAH! WAIT!" She could hear Jareth yelling, but it didn't matter. He didn't love her. Sarah looked around her. "I wish we were in my apartment." Jareth made outside the castle to watch Sarah and Toby vanished. He'd lost her. If he had only told her first. He hung his head as Hoggle, Sir Didymus, and Ludo came up to him. Hoggle walked closer to him worried. "Your Majesty?" Jareth looked at the dwarf. "No matter what I do I can't change who I am. I didn't tell her when I should have." Hoggle looked at his friends. "Don't give up." Jareth looked to the sky. "Her wedding to Jason is in a week Hoggle. I don't think I can change her mind." He walked back into the castle. Alone. He would be alone forever. "Sarah, I'm sorry."