Chapter 1

"Our world is virtual."

The broadcaster's voice sounded through Akasuki's headphones. She gazed out at the passing city buildings, awaiting for the train to arrive at the station.

"The numbers of virtual reality products have skyrocketed in such a short amount of time," the broadcaster continued, his tone as dull as it could possibly be, "Not only has there also been an increase in virtual reality games, but Japan has integrated itself into a virtual world. No matter where you look, someone is within the new virtual world. Be it old people, young people, even businessmen have began the shift from digital to virtual."

Akasuki considered tuning into another station, but the subject the man was talking about intrigued her. Besides, she would be home in the matter of minutes anyway.

The afternoon sun shone over the moving train. Inside the train, everyone looked preoccupied on their smartphones, not a single person paying mind to another.

Akasuki sat by her lonesome in the corner, dressed in a black jacket despite the warm weather and a casual t-shirt and jeans. Her yellow eyes looked intimidating, like she was ready to punch someone, but they tired with dark circles under them.

"It's outrageous!" another loud voice boomed. Akasuki regretted having to recognize it. "There aren't even office meetings anymore, unless you call a chat with your boss and team over the internet a "professional meeting". Japan's old problems have began to get out of hand.

"There's too many elderly, the birthrate continues to decline! Look at all these products that have hindered our recovery! It's gone now!"

"Mr. Ryou Riki is a known democratic politician against virtual reality products," the tedious broadcaster explained. It wasn't necessary since the man has been on the news nearly every single day talking nonstop about the subject.

The politician cleared his throat. "Chromatic World, Boyfriend, and other new virtual reality products have taken hold of our youth. Most aren't even interested in sex anymore with that damn new robot that's going around satisfying sexual needs. We are slowly, if not already, have cut ourselves off from the real world."

"That's an interesting analysis, sir. However, many have refuted by saying such products help expand their view on-"

"I say we kill these products before we are all lost!" the politician bellowed, "Chromatic World's opening numbers are thankfully low and we should keep it that way! It's killing Japan! We need to stop this problem before we end it grows any further!"

Akasuki turned the sound off on her smartphone. She didn't feel like listening to a rant barely into the afternoon.

The train stopped at the station. The passengers boarded off the train as new ones entered. Akasuki glanced at the clear blue sky as rock music blared into her ears.

The world certainly had changed in the past few years. Everywhere Akasuki looked, someone was either on their phone as they walked or had an eyepiece that functioned the same way. She didn't notice any couples locking arms and smiling at one another or children playing outside.

Most of the people who walked around were businessmen or people buying groceries. No one really left their houses to hang out and chat anymore. Stores had reported they have sold less products since nearly everything could be bought online. Festivals have died down since not many attended them anymore.

It wasn't like this years ago. Even the rural parts of Japan had began to close themselves up. Even though that democratic politician was annoying, he did have a point.

Akasuki yawned. Who knew being on college break could be rather boring?

Congratulations on becoming the first player to defeat the secret final boss of Cross X Blade! You have earned 11,000 gold, the Golden Ultima Sword, and 35,566 EXP! You have also gained the title of Number 1 Champ!