12

The guards cry out in surprise, noticing the sudden change in the bullets direction and begin to scramble away but before they can escape up the stairs, I push them up against the wall with the invisible force. My powers are getting the best of me, but this time I don't care. They deserve to feel what we have felt. If not worse.

The female guard cries out in pain as her arm is crushed behind her from my sudden increase in pressure but I don't stop throwing power toward them. I take another step forward, ready to unleash a set of bullets flying through the air when I feel a hand on my shoulder.

"Let them go," Tate whispers as he gently pulls me away from them. I look down at my hands in confusion then back up at the bullets swaying inches away from the guards' faces and make the connection. I gasp causing the bullets to drop to the ground and let go of my hold on them. They fall from the wall and hit the concert stairs with a thump, where they lay knocked out. What have I done?

I whip around to face Tate, squirming as he looks down at me with a disappointed expression.

"I didn't mean to-" I start but stop as Tate pulls me into a hug. A feeling of warmth washes over me the moment his arms wrap around my trembling body and I bury my face into his uniform, letting out a few sniffles. I pull away quickly and wipe away the fresh tears from my eyes. I can't let it happen again. I can't allow it to get that bad. Ever again.

"I-I think we should go now," I say to no one in particular and look up into Tate's eyes. He gives me a reassuring smile and takes my hand in his as we run up the stairs leaving the knocked out guards behind.

+++

Ten floors later I am drenched in sweat and panting heavily but still full of adrenaline. Having made it to the top first, I run straight over to the metal door and go to reach for the handle but pause when I notice another touchpad. The door is locked. What is with this place and locking everything! You would think the fire exit would be unlocked because... well it's a fire exit. How would people get out in an emergency? This day just keeps getting better and better. Going to have to use my new "key". I pull the man's bloody finger back out of my pocket and gag at the sight of the shriveled up piece of skin. Let's hope this still works. I bring the finger up to the scanner and wait for the green light to shine as it had last time but it doesn't come on. I try again, changing the positioning of the finger but end up receiving a red light and an alert reading, "No Access, High Clearance Only."

"What sort of fire exit requires high clearance?" I shout at the empty platform and start to yank the door handle but it doesn't budge. Suddenly, the sound of footsteps snaps me out of my rampage and I peer down the stairway, hoping to see Tate but instead, I am met with a less friendly face.

Sydney bounds up the stairs, breathing heavily and cursing under her breath. She glances up at me with a frown and doesn't break eye contact until she reaches the platform at the top.

"Is something wrong?" She asks innocently through a glare and I can't help but scoff.

"Nope, all good," I say and flash a fake smile, "just about to unlock the door actually."

"Go ahead," she says and glances over at the red light behind me. I step into her line and vision and laugh awkwardly.

"About that..." I trail off and frown at her satisfied expression.

"Tate darling," she shouts down the stairwell, "We have a bit of a problem." She turns and faces me with a smirk.

"Try and get out of this one," she whispers then turns around to meet Tate with open arms as he reaches the top of the stairs with Emmie and Eddie trailing behind.

"Thank god you're here," She exclaims and drapes herself over him dramatically. "I'm exhausted!" He flinches at her touch and lightly pushes her away as if she is one of those annoying flies that don't leave you alone on a hot day. I raise my eyebrows and chuckle at his reaction causing her to roll her eyes and turn away to meet the rest of the group coming up the stairwell in disappointment.

"What's the problem?" Asks Tate as turns away from Sydney smiling ever so slightly.

"It's locked," I say and throw the man's finger away in frustration.

"The fire exit is locked?" Tate laughs but stops when he sees my annoyed expression. "Seriously?"

"Believe me, I'm as confused as you are," I say while stepping back to allow more people onto the platform.

How are we going to get out of this one?

"Well, if it's a fire exit," Tate says grinning down at me, his eyes sparkling in anticipation, "Then we are going to need a fire."

+ + + + + + + + +

Sorry guys!

Quick chapter today but now the holiday season is over, I am planning to update at least twice a week so tune in!! My aim for the finished book is to be around 60-100 thousand words and its currently at 16 thousand so I'm nowhere near finished yet! I have a lot installed for the book and the planning stage is finally over. If you have made it this far, I am so so thankful for all the support and can't believe we hit 2k! Don't forget to comment, vote and add this story to your reading list :)

Love, Pip xx