<3> The Library And The Mother

The small grey car owned by Jareth Spofford pulled up outside of the public library in his town. It was a small building, a quaint little shop that was run by an elderly couple and their two children, who Jareth happened to know were desperate to move out. As they entered the shop, Jareth and Farica could hear someone talking very loudly about how her cousin was murdered and her aunt and uncle hired a detective from England.

"His name is something very strange, like Sherhold or something. Anyways, I heard that he found the killer in less then two days," the woman talking shook her head as she places a few books on the counter. "He's a miracle worker or something."

He knew who she was referring to and Mr. Sherlock Holmes seemed to be coming up everywhere around him, his mother kept on telling him to come down to England and talk to him about Danielle's death, he had told her no several times, but she just kept pushing, as mothers do. And after that he kept popping up, online, in conversations in the grocery shop, in the library and he had even heard Farica mention him once, which in his opinion was just strange.

He held his daughter's hand as they headed around the back of the building to the kids books, she started to peruse the books as he kept an ear on the conversation taking place by the counter.

"If I lived in England, I might just go over to the man's house and thank him, my aunt and uncle fell into a right fit when the boy was found dead, they thought they would never find the killer."

He heard Mrs. Welsh, the women who own the library. "Did you know that there is a young man in our community who solves cases like that, oh, I just don't remember his name, he helped my neighbor once."

Jareth knew he was the young man she was talking about and he wished he could be back at home now, he wasn't even close to being as good as Mr. Holmes and to be honest it was embarrassing to him. Especially since he'd spent the last seven months trying to find and convict his sister's killer, coming up empty handed every time. No, he wasn't as good as Mr. Holmes, maybe he shouldn't keep faking his way through all of his cases and just go find a different career.

"Dada?" Farica rested her hand on his forearm. "Dad," she gently poked his cheek and giggled a little as he turned to look at her, "Found a book," she said, waving one above her head.

He picked up his bag from next to his feet and took his daughter's hand, heading up to the counter, where he set the book and his card, turning to look at the new books behind him.

Mrs. Welsh slid the card and book under the scanner as she continued talking to the woman about some recent cases she knew the man had helped with. "I don't think he works with the cops, but I've heard that they asked him to once."

"Fascinating, I'll have to look into him," the woman said as she tucked her books into a tote.

Mr. Welsh, chuckled from behind his book, "In case you end up in jail?" Jareth glanced up to see Mr. Welsh wink at him from the side of his book, he once helped him out of jail two years ago, he had been wrongly accused for breaking and entering.

The women shot a glare at the elder man as she picked up her bag and left from the small building as a cold blast of wind came from the door she left by.

The couple behind the counter turned and looked at Jareth, Mrs. Welsh smiled at him and passed him the book. "If she ever comes to you, don't take the case, she can be very... irritating," she patted his hand and then put her hand under the counter, pulling out a sticker, it was a balloon. She passed it to Farica. "Have a nice day, you two."

Jareth loved some of the people in his town and had the highest respect for them, he was very glad that it was a big gossip neighborhood, unlike his mother's.