Drowning

We were inseparable.

Everyone knows a pair of best friends who are together for everything and anything.

We were that pair.

People often thought of us as siblings, twins, or the soul mate one can only find once in a lifetime. And to her, that was true, but to me...

I wasn't so sure.

*

I met her when I was four, on that small playground beside my house.

She was dancing on top of the slides, as if she could jump off and fly.

We were like any other kids, we roleplayed, and she was always the captain, and I was always the second commander of our ship.

You might think this is a love story, but no, I didn't love her, not that way.

She was my hero, and my enemy, there for the good and the bad.

*

Through elementary, middle school, and high school, I would follow her no matter where she went.

When she steals, I would steal.

When she started drinking, I drank with her.

And when she started to kill, I was her partner in crime.

So of course, when she told me she wanted to die, I told her I would die with her.

*

All the things she did, she deserved the result, because she was drowning with guilt... so she shall keep drowning.

___

"You promise, on the count of three, we jump." She gasped.

I held her shaking hand, and did nothing, but nodded.

*

Both of us were seventeen at the time.

Although she was a few months older than me, I towered over her in height.

I remember that is was a Friday, and we choose to meet up after school. We were planning on studying for exams, but eventually got bored.

It was in the middle of January, and the chilly breeze sliced our face as we went out to explore.

We walked and talked for seemed like hours, but I didn't mind, because we were laughing.

We had arrived at the edge of the woods outside the city.

"Let's go on an adventure," She had said, with her cheeks stained pink from the cold, or was a blush, because she reached out for my hands and we ran.

We skipped over roots, and ducked under the branches, the sound of our laughter echoing into nature.

It finally stopped when we fell onto the soft snow together.

"I don't wanna live anymore," She said, tears dripping from her eyes, sliding onto the frozen snow she laid on.

I was lying beside her, my coat slowing starting to get soaked.

"Don't worry, neither do I." I said to her.

There was silence.

I could hear her breathing, and the sound of rushing water from a violent river near by.

"Then let's die," A pause.

"Okay," Another pause.

"Lets die."