Chapter 4

After running for what seemed like hours, Nolun and the Inferno finally stopped to catch their breath, leaning against a wall. The water dripping down from the leaking pipes and vents was the only sound that could be heard, aside from their heavy breathing and the distant sounds of the city. After standing in silence, Nolun finally looked up at the pirate known only as the Inferno. "Ok pal. Three things. First off, what's a pirate doing in Miranda City? Second, why the hell didn't you try to kill me and take the piece for yourself? Finally, and most importantly, ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR SLAGGING MIND?" Nolun's voice echoed throughout the narrow alley, and after a while of looking down, the Inferno stared back at him, a deadly glare present in his pitch-black eyes. Nolun instantly regretted raising his voice. But instead of cutting his limbs off like he did to Kuopo's men, the man in black simply sighed and rubbed his eyes. "The reason I'm in Miranda City was because I was looking for what you have in that bag. I've heard the legends too about how it was here. And I didn't kill you because I saw your journal, and realized you could have some valuable information, which is the only reason I'm keeping you alive." Nolun rolled his eyes and ran his fingers through his hair. "Great. Perfect. You know, today was starting to be an okay day. I got the treasure I had been looking for for seven years, escaped certain death, y'know, a pretty decent time. But then all of a sudden you come along slicing people's hands off, which I could have handled by the way, and then we partake in a chase through Miranda with GDF shooting at me, which admittedly is not new to me but still inconvenient, and now I'm being held captive by the most cutthroat pirate in the galaxy! Today's just my lucky day!!" 

The Inferno looked at Nolun with nothing more than a mix of disgust and annoyance throughout this entire rant, and when Nolun looked like he was about to start again, he drew one of his swords from his sheath and held it to Nolun's neck, cutting him off mid-sentence. "Remember this well, Slinger. The only reason you are still alive is because I allow it. I can easily remedy this fact. So I suggest you do exactly as I say when I say it. Understand?" Nolun slowly nodded, and the Inferno sheathed his sword. "Y'know, not all problems can be solved with swords. And don't call me Slinger. My name's Nolun, if you even care." The Inferno looked at him with a sideways glance. "Yet a fair amount can be. And fine, Nolun. But you are a Slinger nonetheless." Nolun scowled at him. Slingers were usually associated with a death wish in the New System. Slinger was a nickname for anyone who operated outside of GDF law or was a fugitive from the Federation. Most of the Resistance was comprised of Slingers, and if you were branded one by the GDF, you were placed on a watchlist. Nolun had no doubt that the Inferno was on this list, and after this little stunt, he probably was now too. Nolun took all this into account and sighed. "Alright then, fearless leader, now what do we do?" The Inferno shot a glare at him. "We stick to the plan. We find a ship and get off this planet." "How? The city's swarming with GDF soldiers that'll be looking at us. They'll never let us leave." The Inferno was about to retort back with a response, but was interrupted by a small voice from the other end of the alley. "H-help me...help me!"

Nolun and the Inferno turned their heads and walked down the alley towards the voice slowly, being wary of what was ahead. As they turned the corner, they saw a very strange sight. It was a young blonde girl, only slightly younger than Nolun, her head resting on her knees, her tattered blonde hair draped over her face. She appeared to be crying. She looked up and saw the two of them looking down at her. "W-will you help me? Please." Her voice was wet with tears, and she was clearly in distress. Nolun kneeled down. "What happened? Are you ok?" "S-some men...they mugged me...I don't know where I am..." Nolun was about to comfort her until the Inferno grabbed his shoulder and shook his head. Nolun stood up and pulled him to the side. "What is wrong with you? She just wants help." "She's just a beggar. We have more important things to worry about." "She's not begging for credits. We can just take her home and that'll be it. A short detour is all." The Inferno looked down at the girl again, then sighed and nodded his head. Nolun took the girl's arm and helped her up. "What's your name?" "E-Elicia." "Mine's Nolun." The three of them walked down the alleys to a small room on the side of a wall covered by a tattered rag. They brushed it aside to see a boy with blonde hair sitting there, who stood up. "Elicia?" "Edvard!" The two embraced. The boy looked at Nolun and the Inferno and smiled. "Thank you so much..." Suddenly, a shotgun with a diamond-shaped barrel was in his hands. "Now hand over that bag." Nolun's eyes widened. The tears in the girl's eyes were suddenly gone as she cracked a cocky grin. "Not my best performance brother, but it worked, didn't it?" "It certainly did, sis. I wouldn't suggest going for your weapons. This thing has a hairtrigger, and I have an itchy finger." The Inferno grit his teeth and sighed. Nolun slowly took the bag off of his shoulders and passed it over to the one called Edvard, who looked inside with a smile. "The Wavery Twins score again." As he looked inside, Nolun lunged forward and grabbed the gun, trying to wrestle it out of his hands. "No!" The Inferno tried to stop Nolun, but in the struggle, the gun went off, the shot hitting the side of the building, the sound echoing outwards. Then, the group heard the familiar sounds of GDF soldier chatter. Nolun groaned. "Not again..." Edvard knocked Nolun to the ground, and him and Elicia ran off into the alley. GDF soldiers ran in behind them, and Nolun and the Inferno ran off after the twins.