Chapter 28

Andress and the crew made their way through the winding maze of corridors inside the Avalon Zeta, until they finally managed to come across the hangar where they had landed. The Renegade was still waiting for them, and thankfully didn't seem to be damaged by the explosion. Nolun had a grim look on his face, and Andress knew that the decision to leave the twins behind was a hard one. They were most likely dead, but it still felt wrong. "Bunker, get the ship up and running. We're leaving." Bunker nodded. "You got it boss." Koil and him walked inside, and just as Andress was about to walk in with Nolun and Dante, a burst of static came over their comlinks, causing them to put their hands up to their ears in pain. The, a deep voice came over it, speaking to them into a monotone voice that Andress knew all too well, and made her breath catch in her throat. "Attention crew of the Renegade. This is Director Julian Gottlieb." Andress looked over at Bunker and Koil, who had equally shocked expressions on their faces. "I know you can hear me on this channel. We'd like to offer you a safe negotiation and a fair trade. Right now we have in our possession Edvard and Elicia Wavery, who I am aware are two members of your crew." Nolun's eyes widened, as did Dante's. "If you don't believe us, you can talk to them." There was rustling, and Elicia's panting voice came over the intercom. "Don't listen to this old bag. Whatever he says, don't-" A pained grunt was heard, and Elicia was cut off. Then Gottlieb came back. "Now then, you have something that belongs to me. An AU Prerogative. A Dorado Piece. If you meet with me, we are willing to trade your crewmates, alive, for the Piece. Or, you could just leave and let them die. If you wish to make this trade, meet me in the main energy core." The com went dead.

The five of them stood in the cargo bay of the Renegade, stunned by what they had just heard. Andress turned to look at Koil and Bunker, and then Nolun and Dante. "Well? What are you waiting for? Prep the ship for takeoff. I'll go get them." Andress cocked her composite rifle and began to walk out of the ship, then Nolun stopped her, grabbing her shoulder. "Whoa, whoa whoa. You're not actually going alone, are you?" Andress looked back at Nolun. "You don't know Gottlieb like I do. I've met him before. He's the reason I'm like this!" She held up her mechanical arm and clenched it into a fist. "He's a vicious, lying, coward. It's better if I go. If I die, you can still get out of here." Nolun gripped her shoulders. "Going alone is worse. If he's as bad as you say he is, you know he's going to betray you." Andress shrugged off his hands. "If I can at least save the twins, it'll all be worth it. It's me he wants. He'll let them go. So just give me the Piece. I'm tired of letting people die because I wasn't there to save them!" She shouted at Nolun, and turned away to walk out, then all of a sudden, Nolun grabbed her hand and held on tightly. She stopped in place, and heard his low voice from behind her. "Andress...whatever happened with Gottlieb, I don't care. You don't have to prove yourself to anyone. You can go save people...but that doesn't mean you have to risk your life either..." Andress looked down and realized how different yet alike she and Nolun were. She always put herself at risk because she felt she owed everyone for how she had failed, but Nolun did it because he didn't care about himself, only about the people he saved...Andress paused for a moment then turned to look back at Nolun, then hugged him tightly. "You're such an idiot." She mumbled into his jacket. Nolun held her back and she could feel that stupid smirk creep over his face. "Not as much as you." They parted, and she noticed that everyone in the crew was looking at the both of them. Bunker and Koil were smiling slightly, while Dante stared on with interest. The both of them blushed and let each other go. Nolun then spoke. "Bunker, give me the case with the Piece. I have an idea."

Nolun and Andress walked into the power core room begrudgingly, and saw Gottlieb standing at the other end of a gangplank that crossed over the large silver ball. He had two soldiers at his sides, holding guns to Edvard and Elicia's heads. Nolun was carrying Bunker's pack, and Andress was holding her rifle at his side. The two parties stared at each other from across the way. Gottlieb smiled knowingly. "Well, a pleasure to see you again, Ms. Lovecraft. Or, formerly, Sergeant Lovecraft?" Nolun looked at Andress with confusion as she looked down in shame. "You were a member of the GDF armed forces, correct?" Andress didn't answer, giving Nolun a definite answer. A rush of emotions went through his head. Anger, sadness, betrayal, confusion. But all of it cleared away when he saw Elicia and Edvard. "It doesn't matter what she was. It matters who she is now." Andress looked at Nolun with surprise, and Gottlieb slightly nodded. "I suppose. Now, you have something for me?" Nolun took of the pack begrudgingly, and tossed it over to Gottlieb's side. It landed with a heavy thud. Gottlieb motioned for the two guards to release the twins, and pushed them over to Nolun's side. They went up to Nolun and Andress and smirked. "You slagheads really thought you could leave without us?" Elicia said weakly and almost collapsed into Nolun's arms. Gottlieb looked at the bunch of them, then pulled out his pistol, and the guards aimed their rifles. Nolun looked at Gottlieb with a deadly glare. There was no cover. They couldn't make it to the door without getting shot down. Gottlieb smiled a triumphant smile. "Wait till they run. Then make it look like an execution."