Chapter 17

The Renegade cleared the atmosphere and Andress saw the multiple GDF ships ahead of her. She knew that the Resistance's escort was too good to be true. Even if they had managed to get the masked man off of her back, they wouldn't have been enough to break the massive blockade. Dante looked over at her, looking uncharacteristically unsure. Truth be told, even she didn't have the answer. Nolun, Bunker, the twins, Dante...she had let all of them down. Then, several beeping noises came from the console, the radar showing several contacts coming up behind her. Then, Koil's familiar voice came over the comlink. "Hey, Andress! Sorry for the late entrance, but we figured you could use a little help!" Dante and Andress looked out the cabin window and saw several Resistance dropships and fighters surrounding them, acting as a large perimeter around the ship. Andress smiled, a bit of hope flooding back into her body. What exactly had Koil told the Resistance to get her this much support? She chose not to worry about that, as she had to focus on getting through the blockade. The Renegade's Phantom Drive wouldn't help them this time, but she had a feeling it wouldn't be a problem. A grey and red fighter, which she assumed was Koil's, flew in front of the ship with several other fighters following in formation. "Follow us! We'll lead you through!" Koil radioed, then Andress responded. "Roger that." The small fleet of ships flew towards the massive GDF armada, which began to fire at the approaching Resistance fighters. But, every time a laserbolt would target the Renegade, a Resistance ship would fly in front of it and appear to block it without sustaining any damage. They must have some serious shielding. Andress thought. The Renegade seemed to be weaving through the large blockade with ease. Andress looked on the other side and saw a large Resistance ship waiting on the outskirts of the planet. The title on the outside said The Dreadnought. The Resistance mothership. Andress boosted the thrusters, following close behind the fighters. As soon as they were out of range of the GDF's cannons, the hangar to the Dreadnought opened, and the Renegade came in for a landing.

As Andress got up, Dane looked around warily, and then at Andress. "You sure about this?" Andress considered it for a moment, then decided to go with her gut. "Koil's an old friend of mine. He wouldn't lead us into a trap like this." Dante looked down, then nodded. "I'm coming with you." Andress sighed, knowing there was no way of stopping him. "Fine, but don't start anything." As Andress opened the cargo bay, she walked out into the hangar and saw Koil's ship gliding in right next to the Renegade. The cockpit opened, and he leaped out. He walked up to Andress and looked at her, then her exposed cybernetic arm. "You alright?" He asked, looking concerned. She nodded, brushing some of her hair aside. "I'll be alright. Just get Bunker and Nolun to safety." Koil nodded and shouted over to a group of workers. "We need a medic over here!" Two robots, each carrying a collapsible stretcher wheeled up to the ship and went in side. After a few seconds, they came out with Nolun and Bunker strapped to the stretchers. They rode off to the medical bay to treat them. Koil looked over at Andress and Dante, and smiled sheepishly. "Well, looks like we've got some catching up to do, huh?" Andress looked him and smiled slightly. "Yeah, I guess we do." Koil was about to say something else, but then, a loud voice echoed across the hangar bay. "Commander Barton!" Koil flinched and turned around. Andress saw a stern-looking man with two Resistance soldiers standing on either side of him walking up towards them. Andress looked at Koil with a raised eyebrow and a amused smirk. "Commander?" Koil sighed and looked back at her with a tired smile. "It's a long story." The stern man stared at the group. Koil saluted the man, and he saluted back. The stern man looked over at the Renegade. "This is the ship you said was so important?" Koil nodded. "Yes, General Kovak." The General looked over at Andress and Dante. "Are you the captain?" Andress nodded. "Yes sir." She'd had experience with military figures before. "General, this is Andress Lovecraft-" "I know who she is, Commander. You've mentioned her before. Now, I'd like to question her about the package." Andress looked at Koil confused. "Package?" Koil sighed and looked back sadly. "I'm afraid I haven't been entirely honest with you..."

Nolun woke up again on a medical table for the second time in as many days. Exceptthis time, instead of being greeted by a robot with a lousy bedside manner on a ship in the middle of a firefight, he saw several more advanced bots above him, clearly better equipped to handle injuries. He looked down and saw that his clothes had been cut open to operate on his skin, which had been perfectly fixed and put back together. The only thing left was a diagonal scar across his chest and stomach. At least it wasn't messily put back together with stitched like in the past, and he had something to show off now. The bots moved away, apparently done with the surgery. He saw that there were several anesthetic patches on his arms, so he didn't feel any pain. He looked to his left and saw a very strange sight. Andress was sitting in the corner, staring off into the distance. Her right arm had been covered up with bandages, but some metal could still be seen poking through. She had a worried look on her face. Nolun smirked and looked over. "What'd I miss?" She turned to him at the sound of his voice, and she smiled, her eyes widening. "Nolun!" She went over to him and looked down, her red hair dangling down around him. He was still feeling a bit woozy, and he noticed how beautiful she looked from up above, and how blue her eyes were...He realized he was staring and smiling like an idiot, making Andress roll her eyes. "Yeah, you're fine." She muttered and sat back down, pulling her chair close to the table. Nolun looked over at her and smiled. "Didn't know you were so worried about me." Andress blushed a bit, then glared at him. "It's not my fault! You were the one who was stupid enough to jump in front of his blade." Nolun looked at her, genuine emotion in his eyes. "I had to...couldn't just let him kill you like that...you're welcome by the way." He looked up, sighing, then felt a soft hand close over his. He looked and saw that Andress had her head down. "You're such an idiot..." She said in a low voice. Nolun smiled. "You mind telling me where we are?" Andress looked up and cleared her throat. "Right. Dante fought off that masked guy, and then the Resistance helped us off the planet." "What about the Pieces?" Andress looked worried again and sighed. "What is it?" Nolun asked, confused. Andress looked at him apologetically. "They told me why they were on the planet...they want the Pieces too."