Chapter 10

Nolun looked out over the quarry and saw several large machines moving around, no doubt excavators and drills. But this was the surface. If the light was pointing correctly, what they were looking for was below the planet's surface. The Renegade was hovering silently above the area, it's Phantom Drive making it invisible and silent. They had just dropped off Edvard and Elicia, like they had planned. "If your disguises work, they'll think we're just a transport ship." Nolun had told the twins earlier before they had landed. "Where did you get those things, anyway?" Andress had asked when the twins presented their device. What they were showing looked like an ordinary silver briefcase. "A little something we've had for a while, darling." Edvard had said dramatically. "It's an Appearance Modifier. It scans our body, and uses solid hologram technology to create clothes and looks based on whatever we program! We've used it for cons several times before." Andress looked at it with a raised eyebrow. "I have to admit, I'm impressed. But what does this have to do with your plan?" Nolun didn't have time to remember for now, as his part was coming up. The Renegade hovered over the entrance to the lower levels of the mine. The hatch to the cargo bay opened up, and Andress looked up to the cabin. "Dante, you stay here and get ready to pick us up. If you scratch my ship, I'll leave you here." Dante simply nodded and flew off as soon as Nolun, Andress and Bunker were off the ship. They looked forward at the entrance to the mine, and at the Piece in Nolun's backpack lighting the way. They drew their weapons and headed off for the lift.

"You're who?" Hendro asked as he sat up and looked at the twins in front of him. Elicia was the one who spoke up this time. "Yes, Mr. Hendro, we've been sent by your rival in Miranda City, Rafe Cypher. And also, we've been asked to come here and assassinate you so Rafe can take over your business for himself." Hendro put out his cigar and stared at the two of them in disbelief. "So...why are you telling me all this?" Edvard stepped forward and put the silver briefcase he was carrying down on the chair. "Because...we want in." Hendro looked bewildered. "I'm sorry?" Edvard took off his glasses and stared at him. "We've seen your work before, Hendro. The Obsidian Dragons are some of the most famous mobsters in the galaxy. You're an icon and a role model for many people in our position, and killing would be, frankly, a waste. So, the deal is this. We tour the facility and get a bit of your profits on the down-low, and we forget about this whole incident when we report back to Rafe." Hendro's expression went from confused to relived to intrigued. "Heh. I like the way you think kid. Alright. Quarter of our profit." Edvard gave his best fake smile and looked at Elicia. "I love this guy! He knows how to make a deal. Told you he was the best. Now then...about this tour."

Andress was typing out the command to raise the lift on the console as Bunker was finishing up knocking out the guards and workers on the main deck. So far, Nolun's plan was working. All they had to do now was hope that Edvard and Elicia could handle their part of the plan. Nolun whistled as he looked down the deep mineshaft that led down into the depths of the planet. "Man, I'd hate to fall down there." Andress smirked. "Well, if this works, maybe I won't throw you down it." Nolun looked back at her and smiled. Not his annoying smirk, but a genuine amused smile. "Glad to know you have so much faith in me." The computer finally beeped, signalling the lift was on it's way. Just as Andress was relaxing a bit, there was a large explosion outside. "What the hell?!" The trio rushed outside to see there were groups of patchwork-looking dropships and fighters swarming over the area, releasing people wearing red coats and armour wielding rifles. Andress's eyes widened. She knew what the red coats meant. It was the Resistance. Of course they had to choose now to attack! Nolun and Bunker were looking equally shocked. "Now what? We can't make it through that warzone!" Bunker said regretfully. "We have to keep going." Nolun said. "We're too close to stop now." "Are you crazy!" Andress whipped her head at him. "How's Dante supposed to pick us up in that! We need to leave now before this gets even more crazy!" Nolun stared right back at her, looking unsure at first, then turning stoic. "I have to do this. On my own if I have to." He walked back towards the lift. Andress was considering leaving him...but then she thought back to that day and her instincts kicked in as she shook her head. "Damn it!"

Edvard and Elicia walked with Hendro in the generator room. "As you can see, we have the finest of proton generators. They provide electricity for this whole facility. The mines, equipment, lights, and our shields." Elicia looked confused. "Shields?" "Ah, yes. Due to the high quality of some of our mined materials, they have to be preserved and protected by shields, in case any cave-ins happen. We don't want them damaged for our benefactors, obviously." Edvard nodded. "Ah, yes, of course. And what would some of these materials be?" Hendro laughed. "I can't tell ya that much. It's classified, see. As well as who I'm working with-" Just as he was talking, a technician ran into the room. "S-sir! The Resistance! They're attacking the Zircon fields again!" Hendro sighed. "Goddamn it! I swear, we need to get orbital patrols!" He ran out of the room with the technician, leaving Edvard and Elicia alone. Not exactly as planned, but good enough. The twins nodded at each other, and Edvard tapped a few buttons on the briefcase. His entire face changed, and his clothes became those of a sanitation worker. Elicia snickered. "You've never looked better, brother." Edvard stared at Elicia and muttered at her with his changed voice. "Shut up." He went to stand guard while Elicia began to hack the terminal that released the lower shields. She just hoped she could do it in time.