Reformed Morals

Prompt: A change of heart

My Story:

There I was, surrounded by stark white walls and the crisp smell of antiseptics and death. I was tied to a hard flat surface that only served to emphasize my torture.

I really didn't know how I ended up there; all I did was be myself. How could that be something wrong, something they would hate. Honestly, I was just living my life like anyone else on this stupid earth. It seems they didn't like that, the individuality that is.

So there I was, at the Change of Heart Rehabilitation Center, the place where they switched your morals and played with your emotions.

I was struggling, anxious to break free, to return to the existence I had loved so dearly. Treatment would begin soon.

"Stop fighting," came a mechanical voice from an indeterminable location.

I froze, as a door that I hadn't noticed opened. A loud creak echoed though the room.

"Eliza...?" called a thankfully familiar voice as my brother peeked around the door.

"Vincent! Thank goodness, the assimilation process was about to begin."

"I can't be expected to save you every time," he sighed, making quick work of the accursed bonds with which I was tied.

"Right, like it wasn't your fault I got caught," I hushed as we hurried out of the building. This was the third time I had been taken to the Change of Heart Rehabilitation Center; Vince had only been taken there once.

I suppose, thinking back, that it was my fault. My fault for wanting to rebel. My fault for dragging him down with me.

As we sprinted into the crumbling city, long abandoned by citizens, I remember thinking how lucky I was to have survived with my wits intact. And that I strengthened my resolve. I needed to fight against it, and I needed to win. Or so I thought.

Since then I have come to realize that there's no point in fighting it. They are more prepared and more equipped than we could ever be. And after all, a change of heart isn't always a bad thing. I came to love it, in the end. Now, I just need to convince my brother.

Note:

This was a practice prompt, I think we had half an hour to an hour. It was not critiqued. Personally, I like the way I took the prompt, but I think my style needs work. Then again, this was early in the year.