→ she had a breathtaking smile ←

she had a breathtaking smile

It was raining today. Zayn didn’t mind the rain too much, and that’s why he had gone for a walk, early in the morning. He thought about Perrie, but it was hard to tell when to stop thinking about her because he couldn’t see the sun rising. So he thought about her, a lot more than he usually did.

It hurt a little, but then he thought of good things, and he couldn’t stop smiling, even when his ink black hair was plastered to his forehead and his fingers were deadened from the icy water that hadn’t stopped falling since the middle of the night.

He had gotten sick from his swim in ocean. Maybe walking in the rain wasn’t helping at all, but Zayn didn’t really care about his own health. If he got sick, then it would be ok. If he was healthy, than that was ok too.

If he died... well he supposed that he’d be fine too.

He’d be fine too, too, too.

Not that Zayn really wanted to die. He thought that just after it happened that he wanted to, but then he remembered that it was the easy way out, and he stopped wanting to be dead. Instead he spent his days in his cottage, or out on the front porch, watching the sea.

People didn’t live near Zayn, and once again he didn’t mind. It was nice, being alone. There were no curious eyes peering into his property, no little kids to stand there and just stare, a quality that made them seem so much older than they were. How solemn children could look.

The shopping trip into the centre of the small town was calming. He smiled at people, who would smile back in shock, obviously knowing that he was that guy living in the cottage, all by himself, he was the guy whose bride-

He started humming as he put the milk in the fridge, looking through the red plastic bags. They liked using colourful bags down at the grocers, and it made Zayn happy. It was admittedly a gloomy little town, but he had found out that the people were far from it. In winter they draped tinsel over lamp posts and hung neon Christmas lights on the windows.

Maybe that’s why Harry came. Because it was a happy place, no matter what happened. Zayn hadn’t seen him in a week, which seemed like a long time to him. He knew that he’d be back soon, and Zayn liked having him over. Everyone thought that Harry and Louis were really close, but really Zayn and Harry were the ones that could barely be separated, especially after it happened. Of course he had been close to all of the boys, but when something like that happens, well, memories really do come back and haunt you.

Putting the kettle on the stove, he flicked the gas on, and grabbing a match he placed it near the gas, causing a blue flame to spark up. He grabbed a blue mug from the cupboard and placed a tea bag and two sugars in, waiting for the kettle to start whistling. He looked outside and saw that it was still raining hard, and probably wouldn’t give up for the rest of the day.

Give up for the rest of the day, day, day.

The whistling of the kettle drew his attention away, and grabbing a tea towel he removed the kettle from the flame. He poured the boiling water into the mug, and then placed it on a heat mat, switching off the gas. He grabbed the mug and walked out to the front.

Zayn sighed happily as a cold wind hit his face as he opened the front door. It cleared his mind, and made him feel happy, which was something he was having trouble being, lately. He sat down on the wooden chair, and sipped at the tea.

His eyes widened as he saw a person walking down the road towards his house. He had never seen anyone walk down here, not even those that went for a daily walk or jog. It seemed they all made sure not to go anywhere near his house.

It was a girl: she wasn’t wearing a rain jacket, nor holding an umbrella. Her dark hair was pulled back into a high ponytail, and he could see from here that it was extremely long. The odd thing was that she was wearing a bright yellow sundress, her pale arms bare. But even more odd than that, was she was smiling.

She was smiling, smiling, smiling.

And my, didn’t she have a breathtaking smile. It didn’t look fake, like the fake smiles of the check out girl at the grocers, it was so real. How could someone be so happy, even though it looked like she would get frostbite in that dress she was wearing? God, what the hell was she thinking?

The yellow-dress girl was at his gaze, and she had stopped, looking at the purple and white lupins. She bent down, and smelt them, before running a finger over the soft petals. Zayn thought that she would just turn around and leave, but instead she looked up, and he saw her eyes.

They were a gorgeous blue-green, and Zayn couldn’t decide of it was just one colour, or both, or even perhaps neither. Her lips were bright red, but she wasn’t wearing any lipstick. She almost reminded him of Snow White.

“Are these lupins?” She called, her voice as happy as her smile, but barely able to heard through the downpour.

Zayn blinked at her for a moment. “Uh, yeah. They are.”

“They’re lovely. Haven’t seen purple and white ones before.” She said thoughtfully, looking down at them.

He didn’t know what to say, so he said nothing, instead watching her with shock.

“I’ve got lupins at home, but they’re dark red.” She continued conversationally.

“They’re my favourite.” Zayn said, and she smiled, like she knew that he was going to say that. He really wanted to ask her why she was wearing a summer dress, but knew that it’d be rude. It wasn’t his business anyway.

“I’ll let you finish your tea. Nice meeting you...” She trailed off, and he realised he was supposed to say his name.

“Zayn. It’s Zayn.” He said awkwardly.

“Well, tea-drinking-Zayn, have a nice day.” She said, and turned away from him.

Zayn stood up. “Wait, what’s your name?”

She laughed, looking at him over her shoulder as she walked away. “You’ll have to find out next time, pretty boy.”

Don’t find out next time, pretty boy, boy, boy.

.......................................................................

chapter dedication goes to @lihtan cause #cara5eva

Sara xx