25 ~ What Happened to Him

|Be sure to Vote and show your support|

Ps. These is a bit of POV jumping in this chapter. That was the only way I could properly illustrate the situation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Love is everything it's cracked up to be...It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for.

ASH POV

"So here we are" I said cheerfully, clapping my hands. The sound echoed through the dead silence. Taking a seat in the chair in front of the mahogany table I looked at the paper work I had in front of me and then turned my attention to Haden's friend that was seated in front of me. Every time I saw him he seemed to have a frown on his face. He was not only Haden's most trusted friend he was also his Lawyer, which worked well for Haden. I didn't like him. He might not seem like it but he was smart and his presence here made me a bit uneasy. I studied his cold expression, his amber eyes were focused on me as if he was contemplating something sinister in his head.

I grinned at him but he shot me a threatening look. I turned to my lawyer who sat next to me. He was an old man that had little to no hair with a face that looked like gravity got the best of it. He looked at me through his salt and pepper bushy eyebrows. I stretched my arms, raising them above my head.

This was the day that I had been waiting for.

Everything was going to mine. Not Haden's, never his. Looking at my watch I studied the time. It was ten past. Where was Haden? He was late.

The closed office door slowly opened and it was like the heavens had heard my thoughts, because behind those doors was Haden. His hands shoved into his pockets and a poker face on. He walked towards me and smiled, suddenly. He seemed overly confident. Something wasn't right. It made me anxious.

He took his seat next Julian and whispered something to Julian, then turned his attention to me.

The late morning light poured in through the windows and filled each corner of the room.

"Okay, well then, let's get to it" Said Julian.

I Looked at Haden; the anger and frustration I felt towards him grew. I clenched my fists. This was not the time for me to feel angry, It truly wasn't. All the injustices that had been done to me would be undone. Finally, after years of being ignored even by my parents I was going to get what should be mine.

After Haden gets married the rest of the company assets would belong to him, it was his inheritance. That is what this marriage was about –his inheritance. But this was like killing two birds with one stone. Derek probably no longer liked Haden and even if Haden found Derek, there is no chance that they would get together, not that they were ever 'together'. Even if they did, Haden wouldn't get his inheritance. As soon as he signs the papers, he also will be revoking any ties he has with the Smith family.

What would mother say if she knew? Haden was her favourite child after all. She'd probably be disappointed in me...again; Angry even, but it wouldn't matter. The family legacy would be in the palm of my hand and I would have the freedom to do as I pleased with it.

The sound of the pages turning again brought my thoughts back to the room.

When my eyes detected Haden's hand inching towards the ink pen I could feel my heart race. I watched him, as he played the pen between his fingers and then finally, after what seemed like a lifetime he put ink on the page.