BONUS: Behind The Story + New Story Preview

THE CONCEPT

CONVERSATIONS ABOVE THE CLOUDS (CATC) was one of the things that came into my mind as I was in the middle of typing The Worst Prom Date Ever (TWPDE). Knowing how TWPDE would end, included in the very last chapter was the main character's best friend, Lucas. I felt that I should give him a story of his own, and so I did!

Did you know that CATC was supposed to be only two chapters short? Yup, that was the original plan. One chapter was supposed to contain all the scenes from New York up until their conversations inside the flight, and the second chapter was the succeeding scenes when they landed in Boston + the funny revelation.

After finishing an early draft of chapter one, I learned that there were so many scenes going on, and the plot just came out too condensed for me. I think there were around 30+ pages for that chapter alone, which was pretty overwhelming if you ask me!

My idea of a short story was supposed to be that way, but then I thought that I could give the readers something to look forward to by slowing down the pacing of the story. A few adjustments here and there, my two-chapter story turned into a ten-chapter story! Overall, I was satisfied with the breakdown of the chapters. :-)

LUCAS vs. INA'S HIGH SCHOOL BACKSTORY

LUCAS: In TWPDE, you'll know that he was one of the most sought-after guys in his high school

LUCAS: In TWPDE, you'll know that he was one of the most sought-after guys in his high school. Not only that, he was a top judo athlete and a math whiz who will be studying engineering in college. He possesses this happy-go-lucky attitude, had bullied people in some occasions, but was an overall ladies' man, eventually earning the nickname 'Casanova' among his schoolmates.

As much as he could woo any girl that would catch his attention, he wasn't involved into any committal relationship ever, and believed in casual dating. He does, however, maintain a very close albeit platonic relationship with a girl he had known since middle school, Gigi Houser.

INA: Ina was a regular student in her high school, had passable grades but was extremely gifted in the musical aspect. Ina is a multi-instrumentalist and a singer-songwriter. She had a few close friends and was the type of girl who would pick the people she talked to, not because she was a snob, but was tired of people getting close to her just because she is the (step)sibling of a famous musician. However, she's a musician herself, and will be attending an award-winning music school.

Always overshadowed by his famous sibling, she goes low-key by ghostwriting some of her brother's songs, but has a secret dream of also making it big in the music industry. Ina is clueless in the dating world and acts immature at the thought of it, and has, in fact, never been kissed.

GENERAL TRIVIA

~ Meant to be only two chapters short

~ Sky Hail airlines is fictional