Focus

Robyn put on her long navy coat, grabbed her bag and headed out the door. She enjoyed her job at Smith's, meeting people as they came in and helping them feel comfortable. Some of the people she met had gone through so much, she admired their bravery and their resilience. It must be hard to accept that you need help and going to a psychiatrist seemed very intimidating. Robyn liked to think that she helped people make that first step: if she helped them to feel good about being there whilst they waited they would be more likely to come back and get the help they need.

Robyn didn't like the journey to and from work though, since that irresponsible hit and run driver had destroyed her car! She had loved that car, it was her first and she had been so proud of it. It had been 7 years old when she bought it, and that was 5 years ago now. It might not have been the newest and nicest of cars, but it was perfect in Robyn's eyes. She had known that she wanted a Focus years before she even learned how to drive.

She had worked every weekend and every holiday throughout college to earn money to buy her first car. When she first saw the deep red colour and sat in the comfortable driver's seat, which felt like it had been made specifically for her, she knew that car would be hers. It was what she had worked towards for so long and it made her so happy every time she drove it. Then it was gone, taken away from her, by some idiot who didn't even stick around to make things right. It made her feel so angry whenever she thought about it.

Her journey home now took twice as long, it didn't help that she had to use these stupid crutches. When she was young she used to envy the other kids who had to use crutches; she laughed at how dumb she was as a kid. It was kind of funny how clueless she really was at a time when she had felt she knew everything.

She had distracted herself, she really must rush or she would miss the bus and the next one would not be due for another hour. She made it just in time; a trick she was doing most days - luck must be on her side sometimes. She got on the bus and looked cautiously around, she couldn't shake the feeling that someone was watching her. She had felt that way since the accident though, she was sure that Alexia would tell her that it was perfectly natural to be on edge after the trauma she had experienced; so she tried to ignore it.

There was only two other passengers on the bus, an elderly lady sitting a few seats back, and a young man in a hoody playing on his phone. Neither of these people seemed likely to have any interest in Robyn so she shrugged off the suspicious feeling she had.

She tried to look out of the window but she only saw herself: it was dark outside and the bus was well lit. She played with the hair at her neck that had fallen out of her bun, she wasn't great at styling her hair and liked to keep things simple. She had got in the habit of looking at her reflection on the journey home, there wasn't much else to look at when it was so dark outside.

She got off at her stop and started to walk down the road to her house when she almost physically felt something over her shoulder, she swung her head around hoping to catch the culprit but there was no one there. She looked into the trees and saw some piercing blue eyes, at least she thought she did; she blinked and they were gone. She stood looking at the trees for any sign of movement, it must have been an animal but where had it gone? She must be exhausted, some sleep was what she needed; she was still recovering from the accident, that's all this was.