Chapter 35 (The right way)

Remus POV:

  I saw the jet of red light hit Sirius square in the chest and I lunged forward as he fell back.

 "Gotcha mate." I grunted, moving him away from the veil 

 "Enervate." Harry said, shocking Sirius awake 

Sirius leaped to his feet and held his wand at the ready. The three of us, Sirius, Harry and I stood back to back, protecting each other from the Death Eater's curses, ranging from mediocre to deadly. Sirius laughed triumphantly as he took down yet another Death Eater. I smiled slightly, focusing in on the one foolishly charging me, holding his wand like a sword. All but a few Death Eaters had been rounded up when I heard that dreaded insane laugh. 

  "Little, baby Potter," Bellatrix Lestrange mocked "Protecting your cub, Lupin?" 

  "With all I have." I said, putting an arm out as though it could shield Harry

 My eyes widened in horror as I saw what she had in her hands or rather who she had. 

  "Let him go!" Harry yelled, lunging forward as though to attack her

  Sirius wrapped his arms around Harry's waist and pulled him back. Bellatrix had one of Harry's closest friends, Neville Longbottom by the hair. 

 "But I think little Neville wants to visit mummy and daddy." Bellatrix said in a tone of mock sweetness

"Flipendo! " Harry yelled, throwing Bellatrix on her back "Neville, run!"

 Neville took off for the entrance as Bellatrix ran after him. Harry chased after them, shooting stunning spells at Bellatrix, determined to protect his friend. 

"Harry, no!" Sirius yelled as we raced after them

Bellatrix laughed wildly and disapparated. Harry's hand flew to his scar as he cried out in pain. Sirius caught him as he fell towards the ground. Dumbledore appeared beside me and drew his wand. 

 "Remus, now would be a good time to get Sirius home." He said calmly

 "I'm not leaving Harry." Sirius snapped

Before Dumbledore could open his mouth to argue, Voldemort emerged from a thick cloud of black smoke. I pulled Harry and Sirius back, out of the way of the murderous, snake like man that was advancing Dumbledore and drew my wand once more. I was prepared to fight to protect James' boy, my boy.   

  "It was foolish to come here tonight, Tom. The Aurors are on their way —"  Dumbledore said

  "By which time I shall be gone, and you dead!"  The giant snake of a man replied 

Voldemort fired a killing curse at Dumbledore, which he dodged by Disapparating and apparating by the fountain. I watched as Dumbledore sent harmless curses towards Voldemort as he relentlessly tried to kill him. Dumbledore trapped Voldemort in a water mold and he apparated out. I thought he had given up when Harry let out a blood curdling scream. 

 "Kill me, Dumbledore." 

 Harry's mouth was the one the words came from but it was not his voice. It was Voldemort. 

 "He is weak," Voldemort coaxed "Kill him now and you kill us both." 

 "No," Harry's voice fought through, just as Ministry officials came bursting through the doors "You're the weak one because you don't know love, or family, or friendship and I feel sorry for you." 

Harry expelled Voldemort from him, though I'm still not sure how and the monster of a man smiled maliciously at the Aurors and Minister Fudge before he disapparated. 

  "We told you he was back, Cornelius." Dumbledore said 

  I held back a laugh as Fudge stumbled over his words but my smile was wiped away when he caught sight of Sirius. 

"Black!" He yelled, looking for anything to take eyes off of his blunder "It's Sirius Black! Arrest him!" 

  "Cornelius, Sirius is not a Death Eater, he never was." Dumbledore said 

   "How do we know for sure?" Fudge asked 

 "Check my arm." Sirius said, speaking for the first time "If I was a Death Eater, I'd have the dark mark on my left arm." 

  "Very well then." 

 Sirius willingly pulled up his sleeves and turned both arms over. 

 "See? No mark." He said with the air of someone being told he got an E on his O.W.L.S

 "Well, you did betray James and Lily Potter." Fudge argued

 "He did no such thing." Dumbledore said 

 "He was their secret keeper." 

 "No, he wasn't." 

 "You have no proof saying otherwise." 

 "But I do." Said the slow, sneering voice of Severus Snape

We turned to see Snape holding a vial of clear liquid. 

"Black, drink this." He said, tossing the vial to Sirius 

Sirius did as he was told (for once) and downed the entire potion. 

 "Are you Sirius Orion Black?" Fudge asked 

 "Yes." 

"Were you incarcerated in Azkaban for twelve years?" 

"Yes." 

"Were you James Potter's best friend?" 

"Yes." 

"Were you the Potters' secret keeper?" 

"No." 

Fudge looked shocked. 

"Who was their secret keeper?" 

"Peter Pettigrew. I thought it would be safer seeing as everyone would assume it was me." 

"Did you betray the Potters to He-who-must-not-be-named?" 

"No. I'd die before I betrayed my friends to Voldemort." 

"Very well." Fudge sighed "I will sign a full pardon on your behalf and make a public apology as soon as this mess is cleaned up." 

 Sirius smirked then turned to Dumbledore. 

"I will see you at your home, Sirius." Dumbledore said calmly