19. Growing

Saturday, October 29

"You look fine Olivia," Elliot stood in the doorway of her small walk in closet and watched her look in the mirror for what felt like the hundredth time today.

"No I don't. My breasts are practically spilling out of this top. How am I supposed to keep this baby a secret?" Elliot had began to laugh a bit but quickly stopped when he seen the expression on her face. "Do you think this is funny?"

"No- I mean..well, it kind of is. Baby, your body is growing and changing more and more each day, it's making room for the baby," he stood behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist, both hands landing on her small bump.

"I know but does it have to be so obvious and so soon? And so achy, I feel like I'm carrying a load of bricks on my chest," she reached up to cup her breasts and winced at how tender they still were.

"Maybe we should just tell them?"

"And ruin Kathleen's birthday? She's still getting used to all of this and not to mention Kathy will be there. I'm already worried about this dinner, I don't need to add anything else," she started unbuttoning the white blouse she had on, and started searching for something else.

"Liv.."

"Can you go check on the baby? She'll be up soon," she had cut him off. Olivia knew he meant well but she was already beginning to feel overwhelmed with everything that was going on in their relationship.

He knew it was best not to argue with her, and didn't want to push her any further tonight. Elliot was already barely getting by with her agreeing to come to the dinner tonight. He kissed her forehead and proceeded to go check on Cecilia.

~

Olivia had given up on dressing up for the dinner, and opted for a pair of leggings and an oversized black sweater and over the knee riding boots. She was on her way into her second trimester, and the morning sickness that she thought she had skipped over was making an appearance. The nausea she had been feeling couldn't have come at a more inconvenient time, but she was happy she hadn't vomited yet. The last thing she needed was for Elliot to have another reason to fuss over her.

"Olivia!" Lizzie ran over to her when she heard the front door open. "I missed you so much! I heard you've been sick," she embraced Olivia tightly, burying her face into her shoulder. Olivia usually loved the warm hugs from Lizzie, but she nearly cried at the pain radiating through her breasts.

"I was but I'm feeling so much better now! I'm so happy to see you," she pulled away and kissed the top of her head.

"Liv, I'm so glad you made it!" Kathleen had come out of the kitchen and gave Olivia a hug as well. She was surprised that she had been so...affectionate? Especially in front of her mother. It was only a few seconds before Maureen had come around the corner to hug Olivia too.

"Happy Birthday sweetie!"

"I guess you guys just replaced me with Olivia huh?" Elliot stood at the door holding the baby carrier.

"No dad, we love you almost as much as we love Olivia," Lizzie and her sisters laughed and went over to hug their father. Olivia had felt slightly guilty, they had all been focusing their attention on her while Kathy just leaned on the doorway to the kitchen. The moment she had made eye contact with her, Olivia tried to offer her a small smile and instead was met with her back as she turned to go back into the kitchen. Elliot had noticed this interaction between the two and noted that he needed to go talk to Kathy before dinner was ready.

"Where's Eli and Dick?"

"They're upstairs playing whatever new game you bought Dick last week," Maureen rolled her eyes and reached for the baby. "We got her dad, go upstairs," he handed the car seat over and went up to Dick's room. Olivia followed behind the girls and they all sat around the living room. She watched as they all cooed at Cecilia, and had gotten excited about telling them about the baby sometime soon.