Chapter 3

The sons were silent after the captain's clarification, and Abel’s eyes averted to the ground, a look of horror on his face.

  Of course, he thought. Of course it isn’t that easy. The theft alone won’t get him killed, no, but being a thieving pirate will. Of course.

  “Bring the supplies to the ship,” Hades commanded, turning to head back to the shore.

  Cerberus blinked from his shock, then looked at his father before he hurried to catch up as his brothers trailed behind him. “We can’t leave him!”

  “We’re not leaving him." Hades said through clenched teeth.

  “Then what are we going to do?” Cain demanded. “We’d be no better off than he if we just barge in like a pack of fools and demand that they let him go!”

  “That’s exactly what we’re going to do.”

  “Have the years at sea driven you mad?” Malachi asked with an incredulous expression.

  The captain stopped on the shore, the waves crashing around his ankles as he turned to his crew with a stern look. “Maybe a little, but that’s not the point. I know someone who can help, but you all must stay here.”

  As expected, his sons all spoke loudly at once in protest, demanding that they come with, that they refuse to be useless to help their brother.

  “Steady!” Hades raised his voice, and his sons silenced themselves, but gave him glares that he took in stride. “You will help later, but not now. Keep near the ship. I’ll return before dawn. Abel, don’t go to the ship unless it’s necessary.”

  “Why not?” Abel demanded with furrowed eyebrows.

  “If you truly wish for saltwater in your wound and begin an infection, then do as you will.”

  Abel gritted his teeth, but didn’t protest further. He silently lifted his shirt to unbuckle the leather belts he had beneath, then handed them to Cerberus, who took a deep breath and turned to face the crew.

  “Follow the captain’s orders. Standing here pissing ourselves won’t help anyone. Go on, make haste.” He ordered. The crew hesitated, but Zelios and Charon moved first, turning to head out to the ship several yards away from the shore.

  Soon, the rest of the crew followed, several of them glancing back at Hades, who stood static as he watched. Abel turned his head and stared out into the endless horizon, revealing distress and guilt on his face.

  “Cerberus,” Hades called, and his son turned to look at him. “Come here.”

  Cerberus walked back over to Hades, meeting his gaze and standing a few inches taller.

  “I trust that you be sure your brothers don’t try anything stupid,” Hades said. Cerberus nodded, giving his father a salute with the tilt of his tricorn.

  “Aye, Captain.”

***

  Ambrosius bit back a groan at the throbbing pain in his leg. He’s grateful that they had taken out the bullet and wrapped up his leg before tossing him into the cell, but the pain only seems to be getting worse.

  The cell is larger than he thought it would be, enough for several people, as he had seen in the other cells near his. Stone floor and walls, with steal bars for the door and a lock that, with the right tool, Ambrosius could probably jiggle loose.

  He hadn’t attempted to get off of the hard bed, though. His leg burns. He hasn’t even gotten up to use that dirty bucket in the corner of the room to relieve himself.