Chapter 12

“You know, if you keep me here for too long, my crew will start looking for me.”

  Abel sighed when the stranger didn’t respond. He’s been sitting on the floor, his legs crossed and his hands on his lap, always in sight, for what must had been an hour. The man wouldn’t let him leave, but he hadn’t tried to kill Abel. Yet.

  The stranger sat in front of the door, staring at the floorboards while fiddling with the dagger in his hand. Every now and then, his eyes would flit to Abel to be sure he hadn’t moved, only to then look down again.

  “If you’re not going to kill me, then talk to me,” Abel insisted and he waited in silence for a moment before continuing. “What do you want? I hope you aren’t looking to escape anytime soon. We’re far from land now.”

  “I know.”

  Abel blinked when the stranger finally responded, then he stared at him. “At least tell me how you got on without anyone noticing.”

  It was silent for a little bit and Abel thought the stranger had resorted back to not responding, but he did. “No one was onboard when I got here.”

  “So it was before we returned,” Abel muttered under his breath before speaking up. “So, were you going to steal from us?”

  The man shook his head, but didn’t respond verbally. Abel frowned and squinted his eyes to try and study the man within the dim lighting, but the stranger’s expression is completely stoic. There was nothing to read, no hint that this man was distressed or enraged or sinister. Abel pursed his lips pensively and leaned back against the wall. The stranger stiffened at the movement, his hand tightening around his dagger and the young pirate quickly lifted his hands to show that he’s not going to attempt anything.

  “I was going to leave as soon as I saw your crew approaching,” the stranger spoke up. “But I heard someone mention the land you were going to.”

  “Atlantis?” Abel asked and the stranger gave a single nod. Abel set his elbows on his knees, now curious and hopeful that he could get some information. “Do you know anything about it?”

  The stranger didn’t respond to that and Abel tilted his head at him.

  “Is that why you remained onboard, then? Because you want to go there?” Still no response, but Abel already knew the answer, and he shrugged. “Well, I personally don’t mind you being a stowaway as long as you don’t kill one of us or steal. Although, it’s best that you stay back here, because I doubt the rest of my crew and my captain would share the opinion.”

  The man stared at Abel, and the young pirate felt a little unsettled until he realized that the stranger was giving him his own form of a questioning gaze.

  “I’m not going to tell the others that you’re here, if that’s what you’re wondering,” the pirate assured. “I don’t mind helping you. I just kind of wish that you didn’t scare the last of my soul out of me earlier.”

  It was clear that the man still didn’t trust Abel, but the young pirate hoped that the stranger wouldn’t change his mind and decide to kill him.

  “What business do you have with Atlantis?” The stranger asked now. Abel sighed and rested his chin on his fist, waving his other hand around as he explained.

  “It was a mess of a rescue mission. It was so simple before; we were supposed to just break into the jailhouse and get my brother out, but no, the dumbass got himself tossed into the palace, so our plans changed again. Oh, but it didn’t stop there. You’d never guess that a fuckin’ prince would be the one to help set him free just as we were getting inside. They got out and were kidnapped by a crew that calls themselves Atlanteans, so now we’re going after them and praying that they don’t kill my brother or slaughter us while we try to save his ass.”