Chapter 7

Hades and his crew began making their way towards the nearest window as Leon and Sept climbed to higher ground to get into the palace from above.

"As soon as we get inside, part ways." Hades commanded as he used the handle of his sword to smash the glass. The glass was thick, so it took several swings before the glass finally caved in and shattered.

Immediately, the crew leaped in and dispersed. There were only two guards in the hallway they entered, and those guards were taken down within moments.

"Zelios, Nikias," Cain called as the two brothers made their way to him.

"We need to find the dungeons," Nikias said and Zelios nodded, but then the young boy frowned. "But where would the entrance be?"

Cain turned to the nearest door, kicking it open to find a storage closet. He turned and continued down the hallway to the next door. "We'll just have to keep guessing until we're lucky."

On the other side of the palace, Ambrosius turned into a hallway to his left, eyes darting around in search of some sort of exit, but then he froze as he noticed that man, Commodore Mason, walking down the hallway. The Commodore saw him as well and stopped in place, frowning.

"I could've sworn..." he muttered under his breath before shaking his head, looking oddly impressed. "You're incredibly adamant. How did you manage to escape your cell again?"

Ambrosius shrugged. "Pirates like myself tend to make quite a reputation."

"I couldn't agree more." Commodore Mason began approaching Ambrosius, who straightened his posture, ready to fight. The commodore raised his eyebrows at the pirate's offensive stance, then he withdrew his sword. "You're willing to fight with your fists, although you know you stand no chance against a man with a sword?"

"Aye, I am. You're in the way of my freedom."

"You're too young to take these sort of actions," Commodore Mason said, clicking his tongue. "You wish to be a man, don't you? Surely your father would be ashamed to see you like this."

Ambrosius smirked. "Then you clearly haven't met my father."

The commodore made a disgusted expression, a face not commonly seen from a man this formal, and it amused Ambrosius. Then Mason stepped forward, lifting his sword to attack.

Ambrosius stepped back and raised his arms to protect his head and chest, but something moved from the corner of his eye and stepped in front of him. He heard the sound of two swords colliding as one deflected the commodore's attack.

Ambrosius lowered his arms with a frown, which deepened as he recognized Thorn standing before him with his sword raised at the commodore, who stared in befuddlement.

"Young Majesty?" Mason asked, furrowing his eyebrows. "Just what in the devil are you doing?"

Thorn didn't respond, he just stood there, making a silent point that he didn't plan on moving.

"You're making a mistake," the commodore warned, and he didn't lower his sword, which made it clear that he would fight as well.

"That may be true," Thorn muttered, more to himself than to anyone else.

Ambrosius glanced at Thorn's holster to find his pistol, and so he reached out and snatched it, aiming at the commodore and removing the safety. Thorn's eyes darted to Ambrosius for a moment before returning his gaze to Mason, who managed a mocking laugh.

"What are you going to do with that, boy?"

"I'm going to make sure I get out of here," Ambrosius answered, although his hand trembled. He wouldn't be able to do it, he realized immediately. He had already killed three men. He thought that maybe it'd be easier now, but he was wrong. The images of those dead men flashed through Ambrosius's mind, and he found himself momentarily paralyzed.