Chapter 13

"There's Atlantis," Atlan said as he nodded to a place ahead of the ship. Ambrosius looked in that direction, squinting his eyes against the light of the sunset. Once his eyes adjusted, he saw the pieces of land in the distance, a distance that was growing shorter.

He said nothing as he pulled the leather coat tighter around his body to protect himself from the cold winds, his breath leaving him in warm puffs of fog that quickly vanished in the wind. However, after Atlan's words, several Atlanteans released exclamations of joy. Ambrosius frowned as he looked at them, then towards Atlantis.

"We haven't been home in almost a year," Atlan explained once he noticed Ambrosius's befuddlement. "It's been far too long for us."

"Why almost a year?" Ambrosius asked now. Atlan turned to face him with a smile that held a hint of sadness behind it.

"I've been searching for someone," he said. "Someone very important to me."

Ambrosius twitched in frustration, trying to refrain himself from snapping. "So, what does that have to do with Thorn and I? You weren't searching for one of us."

"No," Atlan answered smoothly as his gaze moved to Thorn, who stood on the other side of the ship, his arms crossed and his expression stoic as he stared at Atlantis. "But I know you two will help me."

"You mean, Thorn could help you."

Atlan calmly met Ambrosius's glare and gave him a nod. "Yes."

"And what makes you think that he would do anything for you?"

Atlan didn't respond right away. He just stared at Ambrosius deeply, as if he could see right into the young pirate's very soul. Ambrosius shivered, finding himself unable to move, as if the captain's silver eyes were somehow paralyzing him. Fear gradually stirred within him, but Ambrosius took the moment to study the captain. Atlan's expression was relaxed and friendly, but his eyes were cold, expressing some sort of warning, as if silently commanding Ambrosius not to say another word. And so, he didn't.

Atlan seemed to appreciate the pirate's silence and continued. "Prepare to dock the ship," he ordered his crew without looking away from Ambrosius, and then spoke directly to him. "Once we've settled, I'll find a place for you and the prince to stay."

Then he turned to make his way towards the captain's quarters, leaving Ambrosius standing stiffly as he stared out at the ocean.

"Are you alright?" Ambrosius was startled by the voice and whipped around to see Thorn, then exhaled a breath he didn't know he was holding. Thorn frowned, tilting his head to study him. "You look ill."

"Must be the cold," Ambrosius replied, wiping a hand across his forehead to find cold sweat. "And I'm worried."

Thorn nodded, turning his gaze to the islands. "Do you think they'll kill us?"

Ambrosius shook his head. "I don't know."

"What if we jumped off and swam towards your ship?"

Ambrosius wrinkled his nose at the playful suggestion. "We'd freeze to death."

Thorn grinned at him, then glanced down at Ambrosius's leg. "How's your wound?"

"It's better. I can walk without limping."

"Could you run?"

Ambrosius smirked and met Thorn's gaze, but then he noticed that the prince was serious this time and his smirk fell. "Aye. I'm sure I can."

Thorn took a moment to make sure no one was close enough to hear them before he continued in a low voice. "Good, because that's what we need to do as soon as we have the chance. When we get off the ship, we need to run and find a place to hide until your crew gets here."