The Arena (Part 1)

Keith blinked open his eyes and tried to sit up against the wall. He groaned and placed his hand over a throbbing pain in the back of his head.

"You're awake." A voice commented from about a foot away. "...Lucky you."

Keith turned to the voice and had to do a double take. Pidge? No. The voice was too deep to be Pidge's.

"You're Pidge's brother." Keith breathed.

"Pidge? I don't know anyone with that name."

"No, sorry. Katie. You're Katie's brother, Matt."

Matt nodded then cocked his head. His brows furrowed with curiosity. "Yeah... but how do you know my sister?"

"It's kind of a long story." Keith responded.

"Too bad we don't have the time, yeah?" Matt flicked his head in the direction of the doorway where two Galra soldiers were returning for their next gladiator. He leaned in close to whisper. "My suggestion is to hold back and don't make eye contact. There's a time and a place to be defiant."

"Him." The first Galra soldier pointed a finger to the person sitting directly behind Keith.

A sigh of relief rippled through the crowd when the selection was made. The second Galra stepped forward and seized them.

"Let me go! Please! Don't make me go in there! I'll die!" The poor creature struggled in their grasp and shrieked as he was pulled off the ground by the collar of his shirt.

"Then make it a fight worth watching!" The second Galra laughed and dragged him away.

Keith clenched his jaw in anger. His eyes bore holes in the oblivious soldiers' backs.

"Believe me, there's no one here who wants to spit on their boots like I do. What I wouldn't give for the chance to give Zarkon a good punch to the nose." Matt said when they were plunged into darkness once more.

"How long have you been here?" Keith asked.

"Let me just say that it's been a while. I lost track of the days not long before I lost hope of ever being rescued." Matt turned to witness Keith's saddened expression and tried to brighten up. "It happens. Sometimes people forget about you. All you have to do is just keep fighting. That's all you can do, really." He shrugged.

Keith shook his head. "No. Pidge-- I mean Katie-- never forgot you. You've been on her mind since your disappearance. She won't rest until she finds you."

Matt smiled softly. "Katie... It's been so long since I've seen her. How is she?"

"She's doing well. She's a great fighter and an excellent strategist. I don't know what we'd do without her."

"I always knew she had it in her to be something great." His smile began to fade. "I just wish I could see her again."

"I know." Keith responded. "That's why we're gonna get you out of here."

Matt's eyes widened. "Are you sure?"

In that moment, the doors opened and the room was flooded with light once again. The first Galra soldier scanned the room with a stern expression before his eyes rested on Keith. With a quick smirk and an elbow in his comrade's ribs, both of the soldiers stepped forward.

The crowd shied away from the soldiers then sighed with relief when they realized that they were not the chosen one.

Keith, however, sat perfectly still. He glared daggers into their eyes. Matt straightened up and tossed Keith a sideways glance. Keith turned to Matt to mouth two simple words before he was forced to his feet.

"Trust me."