Race Against Time (Part 2)

"Hey, Keith?" A voice sounded distant over the comm. Keith was almost certain that he imagined it. "Your lion is chasing me. I thought it was you..."

Keith dived for the comm, leaving Allura preoccupied with the hard drive.

"Lance! Oh my god!"

"I-I just thought I'd comm you. I mean... just in case I don't..." he couldn't finish his sentence.

"No, Lance. You're gonna make it. We're gonna fix the system, set up a wormhole, and get you back safely. You'll be okay." His voice cracked on the last word.

"I'm flying as fast as I can. I hope I can get it out of range in time."

"You will." Keith was fighting tears now.

"Hey, um... this whole thing seems kinda dark. Wanna hear a joke?"

"...Okay."

"Wh-where do aliens go to socialize?" Lance's voice shook.

"I d-don't know. Where?" Keith choked out.

"The space bar." He laughed weakly.

Keith inhaled a series of short breaths to prevent himself from crying.

"Keith, don't cry on me. You're supposed to laugh."

Keith grimaced. "I don't think I can."

"All you've gotta do is think of something happy. Something like... um..."
___________________________

Lance racked his brain for a positive thought in the situation. Most things seemed bleak at the moment. He wasn't sure what to say next.

"I had the opportunity to get to know you." Keith replied.

Lance smiled softly. "Same here. Hey, do you remember that time at the Garrison when you started receiving a series of letters from a secret admirer?"

"Yeah?"

"That was me." He scratched the back of his neck with uncertainty. "It... it kinda started out as a gag sort of thing."

"I know. The crickets in the box of chocolates was a nice touch."

"I'm sorry about that."

"No. It was kinda funny, actually. I set them loose in one of the simulations."

"You didn't! That was you?" Lance's smile widened. "Everyone blamed ME for it!"

There was a low chuckle from the other line. "That was the best part."

There was a moment of silence. Steady beeping alerted Lance to the seconds as they ticked away. "It wasn't much of a gag after a while. I guess I was just jealous of you because you always had to one up me. Competing with you gave me something to shoot for, you know? It wasn't the same after you left..."

"Lance..."

"I don't have much time now, so I'll have to sign off. I love you."

"I love you too, Lance. Don't leave me."

Lance blinked back tears as he ended the comm. The beeping continued. It was dwindling to single digits now.   ...09, o8, 07...

The Red lion loomed closer. ...06, 05...

A dark shape appeared to Lance's right.  ... 03, 02...

...01, 00... Lance braced himself.

There was a flash of blinding white light.