CHAPTER 15

I hate my job. I hate my job. I hate my job.

Let me tell you a piece of advice that you should try to remember. However good you think your job is at the beginning, let it be due to the pay or your co- workers or your bosses or the location or the job itself, there will always be a kink which will show itself after you've settled in comfortably and make you regret that you had taken the job in the first place.

That kink came to me two months after I'd joined at Marks.

It was not because of the fact that I was dating the head of the company, though we had tried to keep it discreet it eventually got out, but because of something that had started seven years ago.

It was sophomore year of high school and I was living life in the best way possible- happily.

Andrew and I were dating back then, my father and brother were both normal, content people and I had a family. But bad fate was inevitable. I remember to this day how it all happened.

I was walking down the hallways of Lincoln High with my algebra texts, heading towards my locker. The corridors were mostly empty since it was class for almost everyone except my algebra class which was released early because of some issue and there were hardly eight people in that class. So yeah, empty hallways, bored Dahlia roaming about.

As I stashed all my books in the corner of my locker and started towards the green lawns, which were freshly mown, a hand tapped me on my shoulder causing me to turn around. It was this really scrawny boy, freshman I guessed, who was looking at me hesitantly in the eye.

"Are you Dahlia Grace?" he asked slowly.

"Yeah. How can I help?" I replied casually, having no idea what was coming my way.

"I need you to come with me, it's important." He said urgently and hearing the tone of his voice I did follow him, which I regret the most.

"Hey are you being bullied or something? Because tell me if it is so." I started speaking.

"No it's not that." He cut me.

We had reached the parking lot of the school where behind a wall, in the tiniest corner, my dearly beloved boyfriend and best friend, was making out with Chloe Rush, the number one bitch of the school. My heart shattered right then and there and I seemed to be frozen in place. 

All I could see was his face, his mouth on hers and that was enough for me. I ran away, soundlessly with the freshman following me.

"Hey Dahlia, wait please!" he shouted after me.

"What do you want!?" I asked him through tears and controlled sobbing.

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to hurt you. I just wanted to show you the truth before that jerk could fool you for long. You seem like a god person." He said genuinely.

"What am I supposed to thank you now?" I yelled at him.

"I understand. But if you're ready for more information, come see me." He said and turned to go.

"Wait, there's more?" I asked frightfully.

"Yes. But it's fine if you don't want to know."

"No." I said. Wiping my face dry and thanking god that no one was out here now.

"I want to know everything there is." I demanded.