3. She's a True Soldier

Over the next few weeks at the camp, people grew more accustomed to seeing her there and generally accepted her as one of them. Almost everyone knew who she was, the story of how she'd become a soldier - and that she was one of the best at shooting in the entire group.

A lot of theories were being thrown around as to where she learned her shooting, some so far-fetched that they were almost worse than the real reason.

No. Nothing was worse than the real reason.

The five of them were hanging in her room one day (as usual) when a bell rang, startling them.
It was a real bell, not the makeshift tin can one she was accustomed to hearing.

It could only mean one thing.

She snapped her head towards the boys. Alex jumped up as soon as the bell's ring pierced the air.

"It's time to leave," he told them sharply. (Y/N) could see a new spark ignite in his eyes. A fire, a hunger, almost crazed and maniacal. He'd been cooped up in the safety of the little building for too long. He was ready to fight, to do something.

She felt the same way.

The soldiers were all streaming out of their rooms into one single file line. Somehow (Y/N) found herself squished in between John and Lafayette.

"Tight quarters, isn't it?" She muttered out of the corner of her mouth.

"Oui," Lafayette answered. She couldn't help noticing the traces of pink around his ears and quickly looked away, wishing she wasn't pressed quite so close against him.

"All soldiers please stay in a nice single file line," she heard the booming voice of the General above all the low chatter. That man was certainly the right one for the job - he had only to say one word and everyone shut up in an instant. "We have just enough horses for every soldier - you'll be shown to your horses in an orderly manner once outside." He looked over at (Y/N). "Oh, and (Y/N), I require a word, please. Just for a moment."

Grateful to wiggle out from behind Lafayette, she made her way to the General. "Yes, sir?"

"I have something for you." Smiling, he led her to his office. The tall man picked up a neatly wrapped box from his desk and handed it to her.

She looked at him with curiosity before unwrapping it.

It was a blue coat, just like the ones the other soldiers wore.

The true soldiers.

She glanced up at Washington in disbelief before swinging it around her shoulders. It was a perfect fit.

"Fit alright?" He asked. She nodded, too stunned to speak. He grinned. "I figured it was time for you to really become a soldier."

She smiled back widely - a real smile. But as she did, it was tinged with guilt.

If only he knew.

She shook the guilt away. That was all behind her now.

She admired the sleeves. "How did you get it tailored to fit a woman?"

He pushed his hands into his pockets. "I got it custom ordered."

She looked into his kind eyes. "Thank you, sir," she smiled.

He placed a hand on her shoulder as they left the room. "You're a soldier now - it's a title you rightly deserve." Again she felt a sickening guilt in her stomach.

What was wrong with her?

A new worry suddenly crossed her mind. "Sir, I don't have a horse."

General Washington scratched his head. "That's alright. I've already arranged for you to ride with Lafayette, so that's not a problem." He looked down at her. "And I've packed an extra tent for you to have for yourself."

"Thank you, sir."

For some reason, she was dreading every step towards the outside of the building. She wiped her palms against each other, the sweat coating her fingers.

You shouldn't be nervous, she told herself crossly. It's only Lafayette. You've been around him 24/7 the past few weeks.

Still, she couldn't shake the memory of his little blush back in the line. She wondered if she'd just imagined it.

When they stepped into the sunlight, (Y/N) squinted against it. She raised her arm to shield her eyes, looking around for Lafayette.

"There he is." Washington spotted him across the stables. He was petting the mane of a large pinto horse.

When he saw her approaching him, Lafayette brightened. "Ah! (Y/N)!" He grinned. She noticed for the first time how wide his smiles were, how full of absolute joy.

She shook her head quickly to clear it. War was no time to be thinking like that!

"She's a gorgeous horse." (Y/N) reached out and stroked her mane. Their hands touched and she quickly drew back.

"Men!" Called Washington. He looked at her apologetically. "And, er, women. Saddle up!"

"You can sit in front," Lafayette told her.
(Y/N) stepped into the stirrup. She swung her leg around the horse with a grunt, not used to riding such tall horses.

Laf practically leapt on the horse with ease.

She could feel heat creeping up her neck as they tried to position themselves comfortably in the saddle made for one.

"Move out!" Shouted the General from the front of the train.

Lafayette gave the horse a little nudge and they fell in line with the other horses.

The two of them tried making small talk but soon abandoned the attempt. It was quickly getting dark, the gray clouds rolling across the sky signaling a coming rainstorm.

Presently a message was passed back through the line of weary horsemen from the General in the lead. Being the caboose of the line, who knows if the information was passed down correctly or not.

Lafayette leaned over her shoulder to hear the news. She could hear him breathing.

The man in front of them rubbed his auburn beard. "General Washington said we've still got quite a ways to go, but we'll almost certainly be there before any rain begins."

As their horses trudged on, (Y/N) barely stifled a yawn. The endless rocking and jingling of the horse's saddle, mixed with the steady clip, clop of hooves on the ground, were making her sleepy. She wondered when the last time she'd taken a proper during-the-day nap was. Probably back when she lived in England.

No, she told herself firmly. No thinking about England now.

"Are you tired, mon amie?" Lafayette's voice came from behind her head. She shrugged, not sure how much longer her eyes would stay open.

His hands, which had been holding the sides of the saddle, found their way around her (she was glad nobody could see her blush) and gently pried the reigns out of her hands.

"Get some rest, (Y/N)," he told her softly. "It may be the last opportunity you have for a while."

She leaned back against him and closed her eyes, the steady rhythm of the horse's steps lulling her to sleep.

_____________

Hey y'all!! Should I post chapters more frequently then once a week? Every Saturday feels like a long time.

Then again I know I'll get too behind to keep doing that😂😂

You guys should follow me and my best friend's joined account @Angelica_And_Eliza :D we'd really appreciate it (yes, both the profile picture and the background picture are ours😉😂😂)