6. She Fights for Freedom

She was still sitting there, shaking, when she felt hands under her armpits, gently pulling her to a standing position.

(Y/N) whipped around, gun raised, until she saw it was Alex and Herc who'd pulled her up. She quickly lowered the musket.

"You okay?" Alex asked, brushing a stray hair out of her eyes. She started to nod, but then shook her head.

"I've killed too many people, Alex," she whispered. "I can't do this anymore."

Alex pulled her into a hug. It wasn't full of love and emotion like the one she and Lafayette had shared, but close friendship and comfort. She felt more arms wrap around her and knew Herc had joined the group embrace.

When they pulled away, Alex's dark eyes stared into her own (E/C) ones. "I need you to hang in there, ok? Herc and I have a plan, and I think it'll take your mind off things. But we need to be able to count on you."

"Ok," she said, glad her voice had stopped shaking. "What's the plan?"

Alex took a deep breath. "We're going to steal the British cannons."

~~~

"You're sure this will work?" (Y/N) whispered for the umpteenth time as the little group hid in the bushes. Alex had rallied up some of the other foot soldiers and they were trying to decide the best way to approach the British ships.

She desperately hoped John and Lafayette were okay.

"I have a new idea on how to get them out," said Alex.

Everyone stared.

Alex leaned in. "We run in, attach ropes to the cannons, and pull them into the water."

(Y/N) gaped at him. "You just want us to skip on in there, without any sort of diversion at all, grab a couple of cannons, and expect them to let us leave?"

"Yes, that's exactly what I want," said Alex.

Slowly, her face spread into a grin. If they made a distraction, surely the soldiers would suspect something. Right now they held the element of surprise.

If they were fast enough to slip in and out before the British understood what was happening...

"It's genius," she said finally.

Alex looked pleased with himself. "Any other questions?"

Everyone looked at each other, but nobody spoke. It seemed like they were all just as confused as the British would be in a few minutes.

"Remember, the goal is to get 24 cannons out of there and into the harbor," Alex told the men. "Don't stop to fight or kill any soldiers - we haven't got time for that." (Y/N) gave him a silent thank you with her eyes. "Everyone clear?"

They all nodded.

"Alright," Alex said. "On my signal."

He held up three fingers.

Two.

One.

Just as he closed his fist, a cannon fired. The perfect signal.

They all got up at once and ran towards the ships.

The soldiers were so preoccupied with the fighting they barely noticed them at first, but soon she could feel bullets speeding through the air around her head. When the first of their men fell, (Y/N) willed her eyes to stay on the target and not look back.

If you were shot on this mission, nobody was going to help you.

She grabbed the first wheeled cannon and threw a rope around it, hitting the man firing it over the head with the butt of her musket. Herc ran over to help her along with another man named James, and together they led the rope out of the ship as quickly as they could.

On and on they went, back and forth from the camp to the ship; each time bringing a new surge of stamina into (Y/N)'s blood. More shots were being fired at them now, more soldiers being called to defend their cannons, but the majority of the ropes were unseen by the British and leading into the underbrush.

The 100-men band (now reduced by some number) regrouped back behind the bushes. About ten men took each rope, grasping it firmly. She appreciated that Alex didn't put her in a large group just because she was a woman, and not as strong (although she was with him and Herc, who was basically as strong as two men).

They successfully pulled 21 cannons off the British ship and into the harbor before they had to head back to camp.

~~~

When all the soldiers returned to the camp for the night, the first thing that came into her mind was Lafayette and Laurens. 

Were they alive?

Oh gosh, they had to be alive.

She scanned the courtyard for the familiar poufy hair or the tall, dark Frenchman.

She felt a tap on her shoulder.

(Y/N) spun around. "John!" She exclaimed, pulling him into a quick hug. "You're alright!"

He grinned, laughing. "As are you, I see! Where are the others?"

She pointed. "They're back there. I think General Washington wanted to see Alex for some reason."

John grinned at her before dashing off to find his best friend.

She resumed her visual scan for Lafayette, growing more and more worried each second she didn't see him.

There.

He turned and saw her at the same time she saw him. His face lit up as he took a step forward, but she was already running, running to him.

His arms opened and she leapt into them, wrapping her own around his neck and pressing her chin on his shoulder.

"Did you miss me, ma cherie?" She heard his voice in her ear.

"You're alright," was all she could think to say. "We're alright."

When they finally let go, (Y/N) caught herself staring into Laf's eyes and quickly looked away, blushing.

The rest of the little gang ran up to them, laughing.

Herc clapped one hand on her shoulder and the other on Lafayette's.

"I hear there's a nearby bar that proudly serves soldiers," he boomed. "What do you say we head on over there to celebrate?"

(Y/N) looked at him, laughing. "Celebrate what?"

"Being not dead," Herc grinned.

She looked up at Lafayette, and then at the rest of the group, who stood waiting for her answer.

"Why not?" She finally said with a shrug. "That's something to celebrate, for sure."

They all cheered, running off in the direction of the horses. Lafayette held out his arm.

(Y/N) took it, and together they dashed off to join the others.

_____________

(P.S. I'm sorry for the early update! Due to the fact that I'm at Star Wars Celebration for the weekend *insert my excited screaming* I didn't know if I'd get another chance to post. The rest of my updates should still be Saturdays though!😉)

OMG 300 READS??!??!! HOWWW??

Thank you guys so much for your votes, reads and comments. It means the world to me. Ahh I didn't think the story would even get to 100 reads😂😂 I love you guys!!

(Another random shoutout to Angelica_Schuyler008  because I have nothing else to say and she's my best friend go follow😉😂)