Nightingale

CHAPTER 3

    Demi's POV

    Something was off about Maddie, I couldn't put my finger on it. She had run off so quickly after she had zoned out. I heard her running around in her room after I knocked and called her name and she took a while opening the door. I guess it wasn't a big deal because she came down to watch a movie with us without a fight. 

       The entire family was debating what movie we should watch, but Maddie was silent, just staring at the rest of us with a dead look in her eyes. I nudged her after shutting down Dallas who wanted to watch 'The Notebook' again"You okay?" I asked, She just nodded and rubbed her eyes, "Yeah I'm fine, didn't get much sleep last night." I nodded, understanding. Maddie ( like me) also had a sleeping issue. It was kind of a family thing. It came from my mom, but it had fortunately skipped Dallas. "We can sleep together tonight if you want." Maddie's face lit up and she nodded happily. No one had noticed that me and Maddie were now staring at our mom and dad wrestle for the remote, Eddie was hell-bent on watching a MMA documentary while my mom was complaining she wanted to watch an actual movie. I threw my head back and cackled as they literally rolled around the floor fighting for it. Maddie however, shoved herself away from them and jumped off the couch, she laughed it off, but I still looked at her curiously. She just shook her head and smiled, so it slipped from my mind. 

**

    I groaned and tried to stretch out after the movie. We had settled on a sports drama, 'The Fifth Quarter' I had voted for a scary movie, but everyone had yelled 'NO' at the same time. Maddie was curled into me, despite her saying that she was tired she had stayed awake the entire movie. Dallas had curled up next to Eddie, along with my mom. As I moved under Maddie, she jumped off of me and onto the seat next to us. "Ready for bed?" I asked her, Maddie nodded sleepily. We walked upstairs and went to her room. I grabbed a pair of pajamas from my bag, changed, and then crawled into bed next to Maddie. She rested her head against my chest and snuggled up to me. "Is the sleeping getting any better?" I asked her, She sighed, "Not really." "Have you been taking the Melatonin?" I said, Melatonin is a herb that helps you sleep, it has some side effects, but sometimes after not sleeping for two days you get desperate. "No, mom gives them to me but when she's not looking I put them back in the bottle." I nodded, "Why?" Maddie raised herself onto her elbows and I did the same. "I just don't like the feeling they give me. Kind of..." She trailed off, trying to find the right word. "Empty?" I offered. She nodded, "Exactly. I don't know why though." I just shrugged, "It's normal to have some side effects but it really does help you sleep." Maddie slumped back onto the pillows again. "I wish my brain would jsut shut off." I poked her side. "When you figure out how let me know." She giggled and I wrapped my arms around her protectively. I loved this girl so much, I don't know what I would do without her. 

FLASHBACK

    I sat in a room full of management, lawyers, friends and family.

"Demi you need help." My mom said, I gritted my teeth. "Hell no. It's my fucking life."

"Demi." Eddie warned, this was the first time he had spoken in this stupid intervention thing. 

 "What." I spat. "Am I not allowed to choose my words anymore?" My mom just closed her eyes. 

"Demi we just want the best for you. We want you to actually make it to your twenties-" 

"Demi's gunna die?" Came a small voice from the hallway. We all turned to see Maddie, 

my baby sister standing there in her pajamas with a teddy pair hanging from one hand. 

"Of course not babygirl, just go back to bed, I'll see you in a little bit." Maddie nodded and sleepily 

trotted back to her room. I turned back and saw my mom staring at me sadly. "What?" I questioned. 

She just shook her head. "Demi I really don't want to do this. But you've given me no choice. The drugs, 

The drinking, The purging, The cutting. It has to stop. Maddie knows what those things are and she's 

eight. I never thought I'd say this but if you don't go to Timberline Knolls you won't see Maddie again." 

My jaw dropped. She's serious, my mom knows how much I loved Madison. "You wouldn't." I whispered

fighting back tears. My mom shook her head sadly. "You know I would if I had to." The tears that I had 

been fighting finally came loose and I broke. "Fine." I whispered. "I'll go to rehab." 

END FLASHBACK

       I laid there, stroking Maddie's hair and thinking about that day. "Demi?" Maddie said in a tiny voice. "Yeah babygirl?" I whispered back. "Will you sing to me?" I smiled and began one of my new songs. 

I can't sleep tonight. Wide awake and so confused. 

Everythings in line, but I am bruised. 

I need a voice to echo. I need a light to take me home. 

I kind of need a hero, is it you? I never see the forest or the trees. 

I could realy use your melody 

Baby I'm a little blind, I think it's time, for you to find me. 

Can you be my Nightingale, sing to me I know you're there.

You could be, my sanity. Come bring me peace, send me to sleep. 

Say you'll be, my Nightingale. 

I don't know what i'd do without you, 

Your words are like a whisper come through 

Say you'll be, my Nightingale. 

  I sang the lines softly to her as she slowly slid her eyes shut and her breathing evened out, I kissed her forehead and finally succumbed to sleep as well. 

Soooo how'd you guys like it? Again, I'm sorry it's a long time to update but I was trying the update all of my fanfictions and this one just happened to be written last so Sorrrrry! 

Comment and Vote if you liked the cute moments!! 

<3 

-Rachel