Chapter 1

[Lucy POV]

   I tugged gently at the sleeve that covered the secrets that colored my arms underneath. Ever since my mother had passed, my father never stopped drinking. He focused all his anger on me leaving discolored spots to decorate my arms. The scab-like strokes around my wrist were my own doing. Somehow, punishing myself with more pain helps me learn my lesson. Whatever I am supposed to be learning.

   The teacher had been droning on for what seemed like forever. No matter what I tried, I couldn't hear her through the water that was slowly drowning me. My thoughts drifted to last night. My father had come home, drunk as usual. I had been working on the same question for about 45 minutes. He glanced over my shoulder at the paper noticing the blank answer sheet.

   He slammed my head onto the table yelling, "You're so dumb! Just answer the dumb question already!" He then pushed me to the floor and began kicking me in the abdomen. "How did I end up having you as my child?" He yelled kicking with every syllable he pronounced. He then threw his empty beer bottle to the ground. As soon as it came in contact with the floor, it shattered. "Clean this up." He muttered as he stomped up the stairs. 

   I lay on the floor gripping my side as silent tears fell down my cheeks and onto the floor. I swept the glass off the floor and dumped the shards in the trash. I then heard a whimper come from under the giant sofa in our living room.

   I smiled sadly and shuffled over to the sofa. I laid down on the ground and peered under the couch at my little brother. "What's the matter, Andy?" I asked gently placing my hand over his. 

   "I-I'm scared of daddy," Andy mumbled. His face was buried in his other arm as he cried. 

   "Oh, Andy. There's nothing to be frightened of..." I lied, "Daddy won't hurt you... and if he tries, I'll protect you." I smiled urging him to move from under the furniture.

   The truth was... I was scared too. I was scared that my father would hurt me worse than ever before. Or even worse... hurt Andy. 

   "You will?" He asked. He looked over at me with his pink, puffy eyes. 

   "Promise," I smiled, knowing I would never break that promise. If my father ever touched Andy the way he did me, I would kill him. Andy smiled and crawled out from under the couch to eat dinner and head off to bed.

   After I tucked Andy into bed, I padded back down the stairs to finish the rest of my homework. I sighed as I glanced over the books stacked in a neat pile on the table. Each held a different subject that I had to master in order to graduate this upcoming year. 

   I don't think I'll be here for that long. I thought to myself as I bit down on my chewed up pencil and began working.

   When I arrived at school the next day, I was immediately greeted by my friend when I was getting out of my car.

   "Lucy! I missed you!" Levy shouted running over to me giving me a big hug. I winced trying to cover the pain. 

   "I-It was only the weekend, Levy." She backed away holding my bruised shoulders that were covered by a sweatshirt. 

   "Are you okay? You seem... hurt." She asked examining me as if I were one of her specimens. 

   "I'm fine!" I reassured her. I then plastered a fake smile on my face. She still seemed suspicious but released it when she someone coming up behind me.

   "Luce!" A familiar voice yelled. The boy grabbed at my waist as he swept me off my feet sending my abdomen into excruciating pain. I yelped as my hands naturally grabbed his arms in an attempt to pry them off my waist.

   He immediately set me down and turned me around. "Luce? Are you okay? Did I hurt you? I didn't mean to! I'm sorry!" Natsu rushed looking me over the same way Levy did. 

   Crap! 

   "No, no, no. You just... surprised me!" I smiled weakly still gripping at my sides. 

   "Are you sure? You sounded as if you were in pain." He questioned. 

   "I'm fine!" I lied. The rest of the group had arrived and had watched the whole thing go down.

   "Are you sure Lucy? It did seem you were in pain." Erza asked as the rest agreed. 

   Oh, well, this is just great. "No really, it's nothing!"

   Just then the ten-minute bell rang, warning us to get in the building. 

   Thank goodness! Talk about saved by the bell! 

   "Don't think you're getting out of this. We are talking about this at lunch." Erza declared which sent a chill down my spine. 

   I can't let them find out! I would be so embarrassed! No one would like me! Well, it's not like anyone likes me as it is. I sighed as I realized the ugly truth about my life.

   I dropped my things onto the desk and ignored all of Levy's questions about what was up with me. I felt everyone's gaze burning holes into the back of my head as I stared straight ahead.

   I can't let them find out about my father abusing me. I guess today's the day I end this sorry life of mine. I looked down in disappointment. I honestly didn't want to leave all my friends and Andy behind. Especially Andy. Oh god. I need to get Andy out of there before I do it. I sighed searching my brain for some idea to get this all done today by lunch. Just thinking about Andy by himself in my father's custody brought tears to my eyes. My father might start hurting him. I can't let that happen.

   I decided I would leave a note to my friends explaining everything and to take Andy far away from my father's clutches. I need them to protect him when I'm gone.

   I scribbled down the note trying to hide it from Levy to prevent her from reading it. I didn't want them to learn anything about my life until I was gone. It would make it easy and we wouldn't have to get help from the government. I don't need to waste anyone else's time on my life.

   After first hour, I walked slowly to my locker to hide the note. I then realized that I had no clue how to access the roof. Which is where I had planned to jump. 

   Shoot! I thought as I stomped on my foot. I slammed the locker closed and noticed Gajeel on his phone a few lockers down. 

   "Hey Gajeel, do you know where the stairs to the roof are?" I asked as innocent as I could be. 

   "Uh, just down the hallway from here to your right. Why?" He muttered looking up at me. 

   Shoot! I'm such an idiot! "Oh, um, I-I have a-a...." I searched my brain for a reason why I would need to be on the roof. "....I have an egg drop for science and we were to meet on the roof."I blurted out saying the first thing that popped into my brain. 

   "Oh, okay. I guess..." He mumbled tossing his phone back in the locker and walking away. I sighed, relieved he didn't push the subject any further.

   Lunch quickly approached. My heart got faster each minute it drew closer. I knew this was the only way out. I then smiled. The pain is going to be gone soon. I won't have to live with myself anymore. I won't have to worry about anyone finding out about my secrets. I would be....free.