To Lose Everything

"As Embargos and talks continue, the Avernian and Gornfal governments continue to fall into disarray, King Ambien assures his people that- zzzzz zzzzzsstttt!"

The radio continued to emit static as Agumon tried to adjust the knob of the device, frowning. "Night-Chan, they were talking about your dad just now weren't they?"

Agumon was sitting next to pool as Night stood waste deep in the water, in a black two piece swimsuit, breathing hard.

"A-Agumon.. not now.. I'm trying not to faint.."

"Come on now.." said Elna, who was further into the pool, beckoning Night. "It's just water."

"You don't know water like I do.." Night whispered with a trembling voice.

If Agumon wasn't here, Night felt sure she would never have agreed to this. But the morning after her first day in camp, Night had asked Elna to teach her to swim with encouragement from the little Digimon.

"There.." said Elna as she took Night's hands, and helped her into the deeper end. "Now just paddle your feet.. there we go, keep level with me, you can do it, I'm not letting go".

"Zzzzzttt...zzzzttt.." Agumon shook the radio worriedly. "Hmmm..I hope your dad is okay Night-chan.."

"H-he should be." Night said shakily as Elna helped her out of the pool. "It's just that this political situation with the Gornfal Empire has been going on for a while. The Empire wants to merge Avernian land with it's own for the Avernian ore. We're a small country, so the Emperor feels it wouldn't be a big deal. However, the Union of Governors is against it, because of Gornfal's reputation for tyranny.  Thanks to the UG, we've kept war from the picture. But.. a nonviolent solution is going to be needed at some point."

"What nonviolent options are there?" Elna asked curiously as Agumon draped a towel over Night's shoulders.

"Well, I could marry their prince." said Night. "That's the more immediate solution, to create a treaty through marriage."

"Sounds distasteful. Do you even know their prince?" said Elna.

"Nope, word is he has 12 other wives though." muttered Night.

"I wouldn't want to be married to somebody like that." said Agumon, shaking his head. "What is marriage by the way?"

Night laughed and patted Agumon's head. "I'll explain it some time.

Agumon smiled and nuzzled his head under Night's towel and leaned against her side, resting peacefully.

"He's so cute, you wouldn't know he was packed with so much power." said Elna. "How did you transform like that anyways?"

"I'm not sure, but I'm certain it was Night-chan's courage!" said Agumon. "It filled me up to the brim, so I evolved!"

"Cid did say that me and Agumon were connected somehow, that dad probably sent him." said Night, bouncing the little tomogatchi toy in her hand. "I guess I should thank dad, he got me a friend instead of a pet.. right Agumon?"

"Yep!"

"Zzzzztt... Reports are coming in now.. I.. uh.. can't believe what I'm seeing here."

"Oh? the radio's back on." said Agumon. "I wanna hear what your dad says! Is he going to be interviewed?"

"And, in a stunning move just 3 minutes ago, it appears Avernia has fallen.. I repeat.. Avernia has fallen." said the radio.

Night's face fell, her eyes went wide, she felt as if she had just been hit on the head with something large and heavy. "Wh-what?"