Chapter six - Boring class

"Hey, Tsukki?" Yama knocked on the door to their room. Kei could feel the knocks on his back because he sat against it. "Are you alright in there?"

"Just go!" Tsukishima roared back at him, regret instantly hitting him in the face. 'Damn it I shouldn't have screamed..' he thought to himself. Damn it.

Silence broke out between them, after a minute or two, the brunette announced carefully ".. I made you lunch.." his voice softened, like he was afraid of making Tsukishima scream at him again. "I'll just leave it here" He heard Yamaguchi putting a plastic box down on the breakfast table. "We have music together at noon so, I guess I'll see you then?"

"Mhmm"

Oh boy, I shouldn't have yelled..

---

'Why am I even taking music?' the blonde thought to himself, sitting by himself in the music room. Surrounded by people with guitars, talented, but mostly not talented people who just made noise and thought they were cool.

'I can't even play an instrument!'  he hunched over his knees with his chin resting in his hands. Waiting for class to just be over.

"Tsukki!" A sunshine voice entered through the door and waved at him. He sat down beside him with sparkles in his eyes.

"Yes, Yamaguchi?" Kei sighed.

"Let's start a band!"

"What? A band?"

"Yup! You and me, we could play at the festival in a few months" Yamaguchi said with excitement, Tsukishima raised an eyebrow at him in response.

"I don't even play any instruments, and I can't sing that's for sure. What would we even be called?" Tsukishima did not like the idea of him on a stage in front of people doing something he doesn't know how to do. Ugh..

"I can take care of the vocals, and maybe teach you some, you'd play the drums and I'll play the guitar. We'd be like the Warblers!" Yamaguchi held him around his shoulder and swept his hand through the air.

"Warblers? That's Glee." Kei couldn't hold back a little chuckle, but it sounded mostly like a cough.

"Then the.. TroubleTones?"

"Still Glee"

"New directions?"

"You're just listing up choirs from Glee, stupid" Tsukishima thought it was silly, yet funny in a way and he let a tiny laugh escape his lips.

"Do you have any better ideas?" Yamaguchi sat back in his chair.

"I don't know, plus, starting a band in college.. Isn't that a little cliché?" Looking over at Yams with a sarcastic tone.

"Cliché fliché, come on, let's go brainstorm!" Yama pulled Tsukichima by his slender arm off his chair and over to the drum set in the corner of the choir room.

"If I say rhythm, what do you say?" Yamaguchi put his hands together and gazed at the blonde in front of him with seriousness.

"A Phineas and Ferb song"

"You're just full of references aren't you?" Yamaguchi could resist laughing a little. "Well, what do you listen to?"

Tsukishima hesitated, was he going to judge his semi-emo rock bands. "Like, uh, Fall out boy"

"Nice! More?"

Hesitating again, Tsukishima cleared his throat. "All Time Low, Arctic Monkeys, K.flay, Blackbear.."

"Panic at the disco?" Yamaguchi pointed at him with a curious look on his face.

"Yes, of course"

"Great, you have some taste" Yamaguchi took out a notebook from his back started writing down the listed bands.

"What are you gonna do with that information?" Tsukishima sat in the little chair in front of the drumset, still wondering what he's doing there.

"Have you played the drums before?" Yamaguchi went back into his bag and in his hands, a bundle of sheet paper was hold tightly in a gentle grip.

"I've really only played one song.." Tsukishima put a hand on the back of his neck, he was a little embarrassed to admit what song it was.

"Well, let's hear!" Yamaguchi sat back.

Hesitating a little again, Tsukishima eyed the drumsticks beside him. Feeling his hands getting a little sweaty as he reached out to grab them. 'Crap, if I start playing the whole classroom will hear' Tsukishima thought to himself.

'Oh what the hell'

Starting with three hits on the ride cymbal, working up a steady, slow beat with the bass drum and snare drum. His hands and feet were working on their own like they were on rails. It felt great! Making a beat with nothing but himself and the drumset. Making noise. Taking up space. It felt unusual but so cool!

Yamaguchi noticed the glee in Tsukishima's face as he watched him play. He looked almost like a little kid, cycling on a bike for the first time. 'Look! Look I'm doing it!'

The normal, bothered facial expression Tsukishima usually wore was completely gone. Yamaguchi almost didn't recognize him.

"Do you know the song?" Tsukishima slowed down and eventually stopped playing.

"No, that could be anything" Yamaguchi scratched the back of his head.

Tsukishima started mumbling and played carefully on the drums again "I ain't happy, I'm feeling glad, I got sunshine, in a bag.."

Then Yamaguchi realized what song he was playing, he instantly continued the lyrics "..I'm useless, but not for long, the future, keep coming on.."

A little smile took form on Tsukishima's face when his roommate recognized the song. 'He knows Gorillaz!'

"Clint Eastwood!" Yamaguchi exclaimed and stood up from his chair "Haven't played so much, you say.." ironically making quotation marks with his fingers in the air.

"Well, I had a phase" also standing up, Tsukishima was ready to leave the little drum booth. Shocked himself by how well that went.

"A phase? That was amazing! Have you been playing the drums in secret your entire life or what?" The brunette talked and motioned a lot with his hands, proving his point.

Tsukishima was flattered. The feeling of getting compliments by someone so big in your eyes, it's like you don't want to believe it.

A little movement, a boring music class. Every minute spent with Yamaguchi felt so precious, like a private tour with a celebrity. The found himself thinking "am I really allowed to be with this person right now?" many times. Why did he think like that? He had no idea. Somehow, Yamaguchi wasn't only the first person he had ever liked.

He was the person he liked the most.

Maybe a boring class was worth it because even though this class was the last place he would want to be right now.

Yamaguchi made him wanna pull through. Actually trying.

It was a feeling Tsukishima was almost completely new to.