UNE

2      Y E A R S       A G O 

. . .

SHE KNEW SHE WAS LOST

She didn't know how far she had to go and how far she'd gone. 

But not even the stars seemed to guide her. 

The world empty and dark. 

Even the city had shushed itself, as if silent nightmares were happening somewhere. 

Everywhere.

. . . 

I'd always hated the city but as of now it's my only cloak to conceal me from him. 

I didn't know who it was just that they're always there, for the past three months. 

Never seeing the face, never remembering. I just knew they'd get me. 

I immersed myself in the shadows, moving with it. Staying away from lights and doorways. 

I don't need any of this. I squeeze my eyes shut as I stumble along the street. Feet bare. I'd lost them at the party. My jacket gone and so the bitter wind of fall to winter scratches against my skin. 

Body and bones bare I shut my mouth tight to stop my teeth from chattering, but my skin still shivers from the cold. 

My eye catches on something.

Just a cat. 

Mousey brown hair, and thin.

It reminds me of myself. 

I feel a few sprinkles of rain as I bite my lip and run across the street. 

I should have gone to the police the first time I thought I was being watched, but I'd always brushed it off. 

I shouldn't have. 

I'd been paranoid for a while about it.

Gone to therapy done everything to shush the voices in my head. 

But they always came back, no matter how much medication I took. 

A rustling sound behind me sends me faster than before and I turn down an alley. 

The alley tight I cringe as I see a small light just a little further ahead but I won't turn back. 

I flinch as the wounds on my legs rub against wall and stone. The ground wet with rain. I almost throw up. Almost. Pain curled all over my body as I begin to run again. My legs shouting at me with every step.

 I'm screaming to no one but myself. 

Help. Please. 

The two words running through my mind as I wish I had never come to that stupid party, I wish I had never fought with him, I wish I had gotten a ride. 

I swear as I bump into a crate and hit my leg on it. 

I look behind me one more time only to see the glint of two eyes in darkness. They dance and remind me of someone. Shaking my head I stay as silent as I can. 

Not moving.

Not breathing.

I just close my eyes and pray for it to be over. 

But as the city is silent so is myself as I pray to god I'll be okay. 

That I'll get home without dying. 

And when I deem myself safe I take off the other direction. 

And I run like I never have before. 

Faster and faster I go, blood coating my hands as I bite my cheek to keep from screaming. I clench my jaw, an almost cracking sound filling my ears. 

  S c r e a m.

         S c r e a m i n g.

I slip and fall a second later my knees hitting the pavement, I feel something cut my hand and wince as I touch it only to feel blood dripping from it. 

And them I do vomit, all over myself. My skin coated in bruises and blood I get up but just as I do a hand sweeps around my waist and one moves across my face, a rag in hand that pushes against it and I try not to breathe.

Don't breathe. 

      Help.

Don't cry.

      Me.

Don't scream. 

         Please. 

I don't and then I do.

A numbing feeling rushes through me. 

And the world goes black as I feel myself crumble to the floor into the arms of someone. 

A prisoner of darkness.