QUATRE

SHE LOOKED BEAUTIFUL ASLEEP.

Even though her dreams ate her alive.

Yet she somehow had a shadow of beauty hidden beneath her features as if you had to look very close to see it.

And if you did.

       You would. 

. . . 

The remains of my sandwich sat on my thigh. 

Peanut butter. 

I could barely eat it knowing he'd touched it, not including the bread was stale as if he'd forgotten about it and let it dry out. 

I rub a hand over my face as I shove the rest of it in my mouth rubbing the crumbs away. 

The air felt colder than usual, I could almost see my breath as I crawled over or at least tried to, he'd wrapped rope around my wrists again but left my feet free. I'd already tried undoing it, but it was useless. 

He'd knotted it in a pattern I'd never seen before. 

He often did that with the rope, knotted it in a new shape every time. 

        I still don't know what it means. 

. . . 

I felt sick. 

Maybe from the chill in the room or I was just so gone that now my body couldn't take it anymore, so now it's shutting down. 

A cough fills the room and I move my hands around trying to loosen the rope but it doesn't budge. 

I get up and try to look for anything in here to try to help me with anything. 

But there's nothing but an empty bathroom, a mattress and me. 

Alone. 

Maybe I could escape, maybe I could distract him and run. 

But all of it would probably fail and then he'd hit me harder. Tie everything harder. Kick me harder. 

And my body would turn shades of blue and purple because of my hope I never should have let back in. 

I had let him win without even putting up a fight. 

. . . 

The door clicks open and a scuffle of feet has my head whipping up to see him coming in. 

Alarms go off in my head when I see his hand. 

I couldn't miss the glint of the blade even in this darkness. 

His hands move it back and forth as he nears me. 

I couldn't see it but somehow I knew he was smiling.

His eyes dance as he runs a finger along the blade, but no blood is drawn and he narrows his eyes at me and I feel myself shrinking back. 

He steps close, on his knees in front of me he cuts the ropes surrounding my hands. 

I immediately begin rubbing them together, and then he places his hands on mine and I flinch at the touch. 

Gripping my hands together he pulls me up and my eyes catch onto something in his hoodie. 

Nestled down into the right pocket.

I couldn't tell what it was, but I knew I wanted it. 

He grips my chin and pulls my face near his.