Chapter 39

Chapter 39

I froze and just stared at Circe. A couple moments later, the rest of the gods came in lead by Annabeth. She rushed to my side and shook me out of my daze.

“Zeta. Snap out of it!”

I shook my head and poke to Circe. “Circe, why are you doing this?”

She looked thoughtful and then cackled. “Because it’s fun that’s why!” She formed a ball of energy and threw it at Annabeth and me, causing us to dive to one side to avoid getting hit.

She readied another ball of energy and aimed it at Zeus. “All I wanted was some recognition. Some sign that I mattered even a little. Instead I get locked away on an island where I have to resort to kidnapping people for company!”

I stood up and brushed myself off. “Untrue! I’ve read about you and what was it? A spa? You kidnapped young girls and transformed men just because you felt like it.”

“The girls were my only friends!” she screamed back. She took out a wand and twirled it causing giant flame dragons to appear. She made a sweeping motion and the fiery dragons started to bob and weave around us in the air.

I snapped my fingers and my sword encased itself with water. I started to swing at the dragons, the air filling with the sound of hissing every time Riptide came into contact with its fiery body. Annabeth stood behind me, knife at the ready in case Circe had some other trick up her toga.

I finally finished the second dragon off after being burned and singed about ten times, but the goddess wasn’t finished yet. She waved her wand and summoned two large beings. After the light dimmed down, there stood two titans: Hyperion and Perses.

“Say hello to my friends.” Circe sneered.

“I’d rather not.” Turning to Annabeth, I whispered, “I’ll take Perses, you take Hyperion.” She nodded to show she understood.

I raised my sword and stalked towards Perses. He stood there waiting for my attack. When I got within a yard of him, he drew a long, three foot sword that glowed with power. He swung experimentally at me to see what I would do. I ducked and rolled towards him. When I passed underneath him, I drew my knife from my arm and slashed at his legs. He fell forward, howling in pain. He summoned him wand and pointed it at me. He shot a bolt of energy towards me, blowing me backwards, making me slam into the bleachers.

I looked over at Annabeth. Thankfully, she was holding her own, ducking and weaving to avoid his blows and rushing into stab or slice with her knife occasionally. Groaning, I detached myself from the bleachers and ran over to the struggling mass that was Perses. He wheezed and attempted to rise, but I stabbed my second knife into his back and uncapped Riptide. I stabbed it into his neck and pulled it out. Perses collapsed and shimmered in a soft golden light, his body disappearing.

I flipped my sword and tilted my head at Circe. Off to one side, a light similar to the one that Perses gave off, shone in my peripheral vision. Annabeth came over and stood by me, stashing her knife in her boot.

“Well?” I asked.

Circe growled and summoned a group of around 500 monsters. “Face these and survive.” She snarled.

I surveyed the monsters quickly and took an inventory. There were about 400 regular monsters and about 80 mortals. There was a drakon slithering around the group or monsters, baring its teeth and hissing. Circe flashed herself to a platform above the arena and looked down smugly. She waved her wand and Drew appeared next to her.

Annabeth and I stood back to back as the monsters came at us. Since we were so well trained and we knew each other’s moves well, we took out about 90 percent of the regular monsters in no time at all. Soon, we were down to the mortals and the drakon.

Annabeth and I split up, going to opposite ends of the arena. I flipped over a large group of the mortals, landed and turned around to face them. I whirled through the ranks, making sure that each of my blows weren’t fatal.

“Why are you using mortals!?” I shouted up to Circe.

“Because they’re so much easier to keep. Plus they are so much easier to find. You humans will do anything so long as the price is right.”

I rolled my eyes and kept fighting. I bashed the butt of my sword against the last mortal’s temple, knocking him out. I looked across the arena and found Annabeth finishing up her side of the battle. I snapped my fingers and teleported next to her, stabbing my spare knife through a guy that was sneaking up behind her.

“You so owe me. That was my last knife.”

She laughed softly and pulled out a spare knife from a belt around her waist. “Here, now we’re even.”

“Thanks. Drakon?”

“You got it.”

Together, we charged the drakon. I snapped my fingers and lit my sword up with fire. I ran up and stabbed Riptide into a chink of the drakon’s armor. It howled in pain and turned around and tried to bite me. I rolled out of the way and took out Annabeth’s knife. I leaped onto the drakon’s back and started to climb up to its head. As I was doing this, Annabeth sneaked around back and slashed the drakon’s tail. The drakon shook its neck and turned around to try and locate Annabeth. She rolled away and took out a bow and started to fire arrows in an attempt to locate another chink in its armor.

I reached the head of the drakon and stabbed down into its head with the knife as hard as possible. The drakon screamed in pain and rolled over onto its back. I somersaulted and landed on the drakon’s belly. I took out Riptide and slammed it into what I thought was the heart. The drakon gave out one last bloodcurdling shriek and lay still.

Circe floated down and stared at the motionless body of the drakon. She looked up at Annabeth and I, eyes rimmed with red. Yelling, she brought out her wand and spun it around, unleashing a powerful wave of energy.

Annabeth and I were blasted back and hit the bleachers with a tremendous force, knocking our helmets off. Groaning, I raised my head to look at Annabeth.

I stood up slowly to find everyone looking at both Annabeth and I, mouths open. Annabeth came and stood next to me and I slung and arm around her waist.

Grinning weakly, I said. “Well, uh. Surprise!”