Free Candy - Chapter One

CHAPTER ONE

Nestled in between the cold, gray waters of Puget Sound and the dark green wrinkles in the earth, Seattle is often shrouded in mist and rain. All that moisture has a way of getting under your skin, or invading your thoughts. Some people can take it, some folks can’t. The short, dark days and long nights of the rainy season push those folks too far. The perfect summers beneath the bluest skies you’ve ever seen can even help tilt a mind past the point of no return.

Of course when you’re normal, you don’t think about the weather like that, but who’s normal anyway? With all the bluffs and high rise condo towers in the city, lots of people think that all that rain looks pretty good when it finally pools into the lakes and runs into Puget Sound. When you’re floating face down in the ship canal, you don’t get to continue the debate about where normal stops and crazy starts.

“I don’t think that Ted Bundy ever drove a Super Beetle,” Steven said as he looked through the mini blinds of his basement apartment at the tan VW parked inches from his window.

“What?” asked Marie, as she walked over to the window to peer out of the blinds.

“That’s a Super Beetle. Like a 1974?” asked Steven.

“Uh, OK, so it’s a Super Beetle. We agreed that we were going to buy this VW Bug from my aunt Doris,” Marie said as she pointed at the car through the mini blinds. “The title says it’s a 1973.”

“It’s supposed to be a ’68 Bug, not a Super Beetle,” Steven said, shaking his head.

“Super, schmuper! Who can even tell the difference?”

“I can! I just did!” 

“How was I supposed to know? They all look the same to me,” Marie said, plopping down on the couch and tossing the title on the coffee table. 

“The windshield is wrong. The hood is wrong. We were supposed to be going for creepy accuracy with the car,” Steven said as he turned back from the window. “Just like that rusted out Dodge pickup that we bought for the Green River Killer gig.” 

“Well, you were so specific when we were looking for the truck,” she said with a shrug. 

“When you told me she had a tan Beetle I thought it would be perfect for the Seattle Serials tour,” Steven said, slouching into the couch.