Chapter Five

CHAPTER FIVE

Cecil Willis didn’t start life as a strange little hermit. He was born in Swedish Hospital in Seattle in 1947. He spent the majority of his childhood alone in his bedroom. He never really knew his father even though they lived in the same house for over twenty years. His mother took him to school, to the zoo and kept him in sensible outfits from Nordstroms.

 Back in 1969 he had dreams, small dreams, but they were bigger than his three hundred square foot apartment. He had just finished his degree in chemistry, and was getting ready to start on his Master’s Degree, so he celebrated by moving out of the dorm and getting his own place. The building was brand new. Beige paint on the cinder block, beige carpet, beige mini blinds, it all screamed, “Welcome to your future!” Then things, let’s call them life, kept getting in the way. 

After he settled into his apartment, his father presented him with a check. There was a trust fund that he never knew about and getting out on his own had triggered the payout.

“Cecil, I didn’t want to steer your life in any way, so I never told you about the family trust fund that has been waiting patiently for you to spread your wings,” his father, Horatio Willis, told him on that August day.

Cecil just stared at the blue slip of paper in his hands. He had never earned more than a thousand dollars during the previous four summers and now his father was handing him a check for three hundred thousand.

“Cecil, if you invest this wisely, it will be a huge help to you, now and in the future,” his father said, putting his hand on Cecil’s shoulder.

“Wow. I don’t know what to say,” he said, looking up into his father’s eyes.