vii. realization pt. i

"Adeline." The words were a whisper against the teenager's skin, and she was utterly confused as she opened her eyes. Standing in front of her bed was Zendaya, her eyes filled with worry. "You're up? Good. We need to talk right now."

"What time is it?" Adeline mumbled, sitting up and rubbing her eyes. She knew she looked like a wreck, but the sun wasn't even up yet, so she didn't care. Zendaya smiled, sitting on the edge of the bed.

"A little past two a.m. Girl, you need to talk to Tom as soon as you get up in the morning, okay?"

"Why?" Adeline furrowed her eyebrows, tilting her head at the brunette. Z sighed and pulled out her phone, showing Ade an interview the blonde did with E! News a few days previous. "What about it?"

"Look, I've known Tom for a while now, and the way you phrased that... It's going to hurt him. He really likes you, Adeline, and I mean that. You've kind of always been a celebrity crush of his, but he was too shy to tell you. When you got cast, he was ecstatic. He literally wouldn't stop talking about it. You should see what happened when you got back from that lunch on the first day. He screamed at me for a solid hour about how much he enjoyed it. The kid legitimately likes you. And you said it 'wouldn't happen any time soon.'"

"Because it won't. I've known him for a week, and yeah, there's something there, but it's not enough, Z. If I want to even think of dating him, I have to get to know him. It's not like I said I hate him or anything." She watched her friend for a moment before nodding.

"Talk to him when you wake up, okay? Go out, have some fun. Get to know him. Then report back, Ade. The Avengers are rooting for you two, and so am I." She patted Adeline's arm then stood up, leaving her friend to go back to sleep.

Adeline dreamt of a boy in a spider suit coming to save the day.

--

ade the babe ❤
tommy are you up yet?
i wanna go out since we're free
can we just go explore the city
tommy
tommyyyyy

tommy the spider💕
i'm up now
geez, ade
we can explore
meet me in 5?

ade the babe ❤
ofc, see you in the lobby 😘

--

Exactly five minutes later, Adeline was sitting in the lobby, waiting for Tom. When he turned the corner, she shot up from her seat, a warm smile gracing her lips. His face lit up when he saw her, but then the smile faltered, coming back full force a moment later.

"Addy, love, it feels like I haven't seen you in forever," he commented, hugging her to his side for a moment before they remembered where they were. Both young stars knew that they were being watched, and at any moment, they could do something to horrifically screw up their images. A hug, while simple and barely showing their growing affection for each other, was no exception.

"It's been a day and a half, Tom," Adeline replied, looking away from him as she blushed. She knew he saw it from the corner of his eye, and she saw the smirk on his lips when he asked, "So where are we exploring today?"

"I don't know. I was hoping you did." Her blush only darkened, and Tom laughed, nodding. He really didn't know what to make of the beautiful girl beside him, especially when she blushed because of him. It was so surreal.

"I know a perfect place, but we'll have to walk to get there." Adeline gasped dramatically, putting her hand over her heart.

"No, Tommy, how will I ever bear it? Walking? Me?" He rolled his eyes and grinned widely at her, taking her hand to lead her from the hotel. Adeline felt her heart beat harder, smiling as she laced their fingers together without thinking, flashing him a smile. His response was to turn beet red, and Adeline had to admit that she found it pretty cute. The two of them walked in silence for a while, both of them caught in their own separate thoughts, until they passed a dance studio, and Adeline couldn't help but grin.