Chapter 6 - A Brother's Goodbye

I actually feel really bad uploading this chapter because I've been promising some answers and they still aren't here yet. I'm not even sure I like this chapter. It seems too long for building up my suspense, but I guess we'll see what happens.

 My bad, guys. This just was getting to be really long. The good news is that what happens next is practilly at the tip of my fingertips. I'm literally going to start writing it as soon as I post this.

Let me know what you think! This chapter is as of 03-12-12 unedited so please let me know if you catch any mistakes. Much obliged! -FO97

It took one look at the man to know that he was not in a good mood. He was huge, with beefy arms, a full dark beard, a chest three times the size of mine, and he towered above all around him. Even I had to direct my eyes upwards to look into his eyes.

“What is it, boy?” he barked angrily. No appreciation for a runner.

“I have a message for you from General Jeqean. Would you like to hear it?”

“Quickly, runner! I don’t have all day!” He turned away from me and directed his booming voice at a passing worker. “Trigger one of those catapults and I swear upon my mother’s grave that I will have your hide!! You hear me?!”

I flinched at his voice and was suddenly worried that I was in some sort of danger.

He turned back to me. “Out with it!”

“Yessir. General Jeqean has settled on lining the fourth tier with ballistae to better protect-“

“Begone, runner. I shall direct my men to build the ballistae on the left side.”

The Master Architect had already started walking away, but I quickly shouted, “Sir! The General would also like an update.”

The big man turned to look at me. “Behind. Far behind.”

Our conversation ended on this morbid note. I was left standing on the sixth tier of the castle overlooking the courtyard. It was the beginning of the afternoon. A little less than half a day left. I looked over the battlements. Stations of archers had already been created on the topmost tiers. Most of the soldiers were polishing armor or weapons. Some looked nervous. Others appeared to be weathered and merely looked stony and solemn.

Two lower tiers were dedicated to catapults, some assembled, some were in the process, and others were still in big piles of timber, metal, and stone. The ballistae had not even started and another tier had what looked to be giant slingshots.

There was too much to do.

            I felt a little lightheaded and leaned again the wall. I took out a canteen that I was keeping on my hip. I took a few swallows from it and felt a little better. Then I was running again, back to the General.

            I probably would have got there too. I probably would have delivered my message and gone about my business until nightfall when I would meet Lady Corblin and spend the night huddled with her and Leof somewhere in the Service where we would be safe. I probably would have awakened the next morning, helped as best I could throughout the day, and gone back to the Service that night. The next day would have been more difficult, with exhaustion setting in and equipment that would need repairs, but it would have been normal. Predictable. Under control.