~Theseus and Bruises~

A soft pawing at Posey's cheek slowly dragged her from her sleep. Opening her eyes, she smiled when she saw Elliott sitting on her chest. Cradling the kitten in her arms, she sat up, pushing strands of pink out of her eyes. Untangling herself from the patchwork quilt, she set Elliott on the floor, watching the small form pad around the room. There was a clean uniform laying on the foot of the bed, complete with a Hufflepuff crested robe and a yellow striped tie.

Picking up the bundle of clothing, she went into the jack-and-jill bathroom that they shared with the second years. It was already packed with girls, most crowded around the mirrors. Finding an empty dressing stall, Posey quickly changed and left the bathroom. 

Saoirse carefully put Elliott back on the bed, smiling when she saw Posey. "Sorry, there was a close encounter with a ferret and I didn't want to bother you."

"Oh, thank you-" She stopped, her face red. "Saoirse, right?" She nodded, and Posey smiled gratefully. A few other girls came out of the bathroom, talking loudly. Posey shyly retreated to her bed, busying herself with making the bed. 

Saoirse sat next to her on the bed in silence for a moment before offering, "Do you want me to do your hair?" Posey's eyes lit up, her cheeks turning pinker than her hair. "Sure, if you want to, but if not, it's okay, I-" Saoirse cut her off. "No, I'd love to, trust me!" Kneeling behind her on the bed, she began braiding her pink locks, trying not to hurt Posey. Pulling a bobby pin that was clipped to her wand pocket out, she gently slid it into her hair. "Done!" Grinning, Posey gently hugged her and stood up. "Thank you."

A girl, probably a fourth year, with long silvery hair poked her head in. "Is Posey in here?" Posey nodded and went over. "I'm Posey," she said softly. "What is it?" 

"Oh, there's a kid waiting for you in the common room. Newt Salamander, or something." The girl took her by the wrist and pulled her out and down the hall. "So is this Newt kid a boyfriend or something?

Posey's face burned bright red. "No! No, I only met him yesterday. We're just good friends."

The girl laughed and tossed her long curls over her shoulder. "He doesn't seem to think so. Now go get em'!" She shoved the first year forward, sending her tumbling into Newt and to the ground.

"Merlin's beard!" he exclaimed, pushing his curly hair out of his eyes. He looked down at Posey and he quickly helped her up. "Oh sorry! I wasn't paying attention." Newt's face turned red. "Sorry."

"It was me, I tripped when I was coming in." She hid her face.

"Are you okay?" His voice was filled with concern, and Posey hesitantly moved her hand away from her face. His eyes fell on the forming bruise on her cheek, and Newt felt a pang of guilt. He quickly ran into the dorm room and picked up a huge suitcase, which was almost half his size. Lugging it into the room, he set it on the ground with a thud and opened it. 

Sitting cross legged on the ground, he pulled out various glass vials and jars. Examining the label on a jar, he handed it to Posey without looking. "Put this on the bruise, don't use more than two leaves," he said distractedly, squinting at another label. She pulled a leaf out of the jar and gently pressed it to her cheek. It stung, causing her to cringe. 

Newt handed her another vial, filled with a shimmery substance. "This will prevent decaying." He handed her a jar with a sticky substance. "This will speed up the healing process."

She stuck her finger into the jar. "What is this?" He looked up. "Flobberworm mucus. Trust me, it'll help." She nodded unsurely and put a little on the side of her face. 

Taking the vials and jars from her, he put them neatly back in the case and hid it under his bed. Posey stared at him in awe. "How did you do all that? Where did you get it?" He looked away, a sheepish smile on his face. "I learned some of it from my brother. He gave me the suitcase and helped me get all of the supplies. He even got me a Potions and Herbology book." Newt's smiled widened, but dropped again. "Then he came here, and everything changed." 

Shaking his head, he helped her up. "You want to go to the dining hall? Your bruise has almost cleared up." Posey nodded and followed him out the earthy tunnel.

/*

Posey left breakfast without eating again, but was sure to hide it from Newt since he worried about everything. (COUGH COUGH ME) Smiling, she listened as Newt rambled on about Grindylows and all sorts of creatures. He froze, and a huge smile appeared on his face. "During break do you want to go by the forest and look for fantastic beasts?" 

"As long as we won't get into any trouble, I guess." She nodded.

A tall boy with curly red hair came up behind Newt and rubbed his head. "Newt! How are you liking Hogwarts?"

"Fine, thanks." Newt stopped walking and looked up. "What do you want Theseus?"

Theseus looked offended. "I can't talk to my little brother without wanting something? That's just sad." He kneeled down, getting closer to Newt. "Do you have the ingredients for Amortentia still? Mother of Pearl or anything like that?" 

He shook his head. "The only Mother of Pearl I have is this," he said, pulling out his wand. The end was hollowed out and lined with the shiny material. Theseus tried to snatch it out of his hand, but Newt quickly pulled his hand away and stuck his wand in his pocket. "Cut it out Theseus! Even if I did give it to you, you can't make Amortentia. You're not a seventh year yet." 

Seeing the anger in his brother's eyes, Newt grabbed Posey's wrist and dragged her into the Hufflepuff common room. Out of breath and angry, he collapsed on the plush sofa, and she sat next to him. Glancing at Posey, he did a double take as his anger melted into fear. "Uh... Posey?" 

She looked worriedly at him. "What? What's wrong?"

"Your bruise may have gotten slightly worse." He fidgeted and avoided her gaze. "You might want to look for yourself." 

Standing up, Posey went into the first years' room, immediately receiving stares and whispers. Saoirse ran over to her. "Are you alright? Are you hurt?" She followed quickly behind her and into the lavatory. Staring into the mirror, the only thing she saw was a dark bruise spreading across her cheek.

How do you think Posey will react to the bruise? Will she be upset or mad at Newt? 

Guess you'll find out!

< Jella >