12: Sombre Thoughts

"Knowing comes from learning, finding from seeking." - Vaddey Ratner

****

Ghost-quiet block, our brightest star was fading, faithfully promising to return the next day. Wrapping ourselves in the warm dainty breeze, I braced myself for the prospective.

Come on. Give me some clues, Grayson. 

Bricks lined all the way down the abandoned block, the only sound arising from our hushed breaths and the rhythm of four shoes tapping pavement. Nick and I walked slowly, I could feel my heart beating rapidly, fighting against hope. Optimism for a hint, even the tiniest one. This was the address, the address on the attempted concealed note. Prior to this moment we were still searching, searching for this particular location. Rue d'Aix, Marseille.

My eyes were heavy bags of bleach, my knees limp as noodles, my stomach was growling audibly, breaking the silence. The only meal, or snack for that matter, that I had received today was breakfast and snacks on the train. I could've eaten a horse on the spot, the only problem... There was no horse here, not even people. The nausea was soon replaced with excitement, and nervousness in the pit of my stomach.

"Isla, I don't think anybody's here," He gazed at the street.

"It doesn't look like anyone's here, but there could be. Hiding somewhere, you know," I continued walking, searching straight ahead.

"No, actually. No, I don't know."

"Wait, hush," I whisper-hissed, putting my palm on Nick's chest, gesturing for him to stop dead. A sound came from the end of the sidewalk, somewhere to the side. A distant noise of thudding, cardboard boxes. Lurching down the street, Nick briskly followed.

"I feel like we're in an episode of Pink Panther, just missing the theme song," he chuckled, I wanted to laugh but forcefully refrained for obvious reasons.

"Not the best timing, Nick," I forced out a serious voice, keeping my voice low. We stood beside what looked like an old nearly closed garage, Nick peeked inside.

"It's a girl, looks a few years older than us," he looked at me, whispering.

"Move, so I can see," we switched places so I could kneel down and watch. A girl, tall, short brown hair, open flannel blouse, she didn't look like a suspect. Despite the lack of suspicion, I hadn't come all this way to assume. I wasn't taking any risks. I kneeled back up, gesturing Nick to follow me.

"Wait, what are you doing?" Not leaving time to answer him, I bended down to get through the open space. I walked in the garage, the girl gasped when she saw me. Dropping the big cardboard box in her hand, her face was frantic.

"Sorry, to scare you. I just wanted to ask you a question," I looked at her, glancing a look at the small room. Beige walls and empty wood shelfs on one side, cardboard boxes on the ground, and a red door behind the girl. "I'm Isla, this is Nick," I gestured to my brother who stood beside me, "what's your name?"

"Look, I don't know who you are. You can't just come in here, and casually introduce yourself," her voice was higher than I had expected. Her slightly shaking hands exposed her brave act, she was nervous.

"Why not?" Nick spoke up for the first time, amusement plain on his face. "What's your name?" he repeated, a casual smile on his face.

"Uh, Sabrina... But, what do you want from me?" Sabrina definitely looked older than us, but why would she be as scared as she was. Now that I looked closer, the girl wasn't as I had took her to be. Her ends hair tips were split, her visible white ends indicated that. Droopy eyelids, black circles under her eyes, her eyeglasses failing to conceal them properly. She probably didn't get enough sleep, I wondered why. Looking closely at her flannel blouse, it was ripped by the elbow. A tiny detail I hadn't missed to spot, details Nick hadn't possibly picked up.

Hey,

Hey,

It's Sunday again, finally! Things are getting serious, aren't they? Tell me your thoughts! What do you think will happen? Also, don't forget to vote, comment, share and follow me to be notified when the next chapter is posted. You guys are amazing, thanks so much for 200 reads!

Xx, 

Maria.