Chapter Six: I'll Time Our Liaison for High Impact And Zero Public Indecency

Chapter Six: I'll Time Our Liaison for High Impact and Zero Public Indecency

I leave Leila in her happy place, also known as the fashion hall at Nordstrom with the instructions that she's allowed to pick her favourite pieces as long as it does not cause my father to collapse on the floor when he receives the monthly credit card bill. I'm a good daughter, I like to support myself and don't depend too much on my parent's.

Sometimes though, times such as this when you've got to physically bribe someone into letting you go see your boyfriend, I'm happy that I come from money.

I check in with Megan and Alex who let me know that Cole has since gone back home since he couldn't get in touch with me. Megan's assured him that I'm very much alive, just zonked out on a couple of sleep pills that I took. She tried to sell it a little more, like I'd taken a day off of work because I'd been so, so utterly tired and I think Cole's beginning to suspect that I'm on my deathbed given how dramatic Megan got.

That girl, there's been a thespian hidden inside her all this time.

I jump in an Uber, grabbing my own bags from Nordstrom and give the driver direction to Cole's apartment. I may or may not have splurged on a little La Perla and Leila definitely got a clue that the person I'd been dying to go see wasn't just a friend.

"You couldn't be more obvious if you tried." She told me as she tried on a very expensive Chloe coat. Honestly, H&M have the same exact thing for a quarter of the price.

I hope my dad's in a good mood when he gets the bill.

"About what?" I'd asked her as I checked out some very fancy, lacy things.

"You have a photograph with him as your phone's background. You've worn a UChicago Law School sweatshirt to work multiple time on casual Fridays, mistakenly assuming that it flatters you figure at all and you giggle far too much when you Facetime with him during lunch. So, it doesn't really take a genius to figure out that your boyfriend lives here and that you're tripping all over yourself to get to him,

"If you know all this, then is there a particular reason why you've made me work so hard to get to him?"

She smirks and holds up a BCBG dress in front of her, turning to the mirror. "Just having a little fun Tessa, lighten up."

If I could choke her using the overpriced clothes in this place, I would.

***

Now I'm still in the back of this Uber, going through Cole's texts with an increasing amount of guilt. Gosh, he's been so worried and I've wasted so much time with Leila. I'm not even sure if he'll be home now or at campus. Regardless, I've got the supplies to make this the most romantic reunion ever and yes, I will have to run back the event tonight but, gosh after all this hassle I'm finally going to see him.

The driver must think I'm a really rude customer since I all but jump out of the cab when he stops in front of Cole's apartment complex, but I make sure to time him well. I haven't been to this place before but have heard enough about it and done the occasional Google search to know what to expect. Cole had been offered the chance to live somewhere that's a little more fancy but I can understand why he wants to save ad the more I see of students running about with their backpacks and law textbooks, the more I realise that Cole is in his element, with people very much like him.

Unlike me, who's living in a building where the person closest in age to me must be thirty-five.

Grabbing my shopping bags, I make my way to the lakefront park apartments that sprawls across what looks like one hundred acres along the south lakefront. It's an awesome location near Lake Shore Drive and just minutes from downtown. It's crowded and popular and Cole seems to have fit right in while I'm still trying to make eye contact with my doorman. Trying not to let the negative thoughts crowd my head, I make my way into the lobby only to deterred by the fact that I don't have any way to get into Cole's studio apartment. I check with the receptionist just to make sure that I've not been put on any list and of course I haven't, Cole and I hadn't discussed when I would visit and it may have escape his mind.