Chapter 17:It's Scientifically Proven That Redheads Make Terrible Godmothers

Chapter Seventeen: It's Scientifically Proven That Redheads Make Terrible Godmothers

Tessa

The contents of my closet are currently strewn all over our bedroom floor and Cole steps around them as though he's walking on a land mine. I would love to have to not clear all of this up but the mess is needed since there has to be one thing that I can wear that won't make me look like a fortune reader from your local circus. My affinity for loose items of clothing has always been there but I do try and make exceptions for work and try and look as professional as I can. When you're trying to hide a growing baby bump though it gets a little tricky. No one's outright said anything about my recent fashion choices but I do see Mattie giving me looks and it's a miracle he hasn't just told me that I've started looking homeless. It should be enough of a sign that I don't meet up with as many clients as Kevin first had me meet and that I hide behind my cubicle when the higher ups visit. Something needs to be done because one more day of peasant tops and ill fitted dresses that could double up as tents and I might as well be fired for unprofessional conduct.

"Uh, lose something there Tessie?" Cole steps around a lone shoe, a flat since heels aren't really an option anymore.

"Wyatt's book edits are done and Kevin's invited him over for a team lunch today, to talk and strategise about marketing. I think my boss's boss might be showing up so I need to find something to wear."

I hold up a pencil skirt that will definitely outline my growing stomach and toss it away. It's not that I consider my pregnancy a dark, horrible secret anymore but rather the fact that I haven't really told anyone at work about it and it'd be nice if I could break the news myself first without them getting an eyeful. In the end I settle for black pants that have an elasticated waistband, a black body and pair it with a slightly oversized Stella McCartney checked blazer that does a nice job of covering my front. I purposefully choose accessories that will provide some distraction so big hoops and oversized sunglasses that cover half my are my go to. Lastly I slip on a pair of very trendy loafer from a certain brand that everyone seems to be wearing and call it a day because this is as dressed up as I'm going to get.

Cole's just finishing up with breakfast and he's saved me some when I walk out and he lets out a low whistle when he sees me. "If I was an insecure man, I'd admit to being jealous that you got all dressed up for that scrawny little smartass but since I'm a grown, mature adult now I'll just tell my gorgeous girlfriend that you look corporate hot. There's a secretary fantasy lurking somewhere there that we could work into our routine."

I nearly choke on my steel cut oats. "I'm confused, do I have the crazy hormones or do you?"

"I don't need the raging hormones baby, I'm ready on demand."

My cheeks flush because he's so damn right and he kept me up way too late last night, taking fully advantage of just how much I crave him now.

"Oh-kay then, how about we not have this conversation right before I head to work? It's going to make my lunch meeting a little uncomfortable if I spend the time thinking about your secretary fetishes."

"I know uncomfortable isn't the word you really want to use." He drizzles some overpriced organic honey over my pancakes in an attempt to make me give up Nutella because apparently processed sugar is bad for the baby. "I'd suggest turned on, flustered, sex crazy etcetera."

"Jeez thanks thesaurus, have you seen my boyfriend?"

"He'll be right here, waiting for you, panting with anticipation."

I nearly throw an apple in his direction because he's making it way too tempting to play hooky and spend the day with him but the man's got serious studying to do even if it is his day off. With finals coming up and essay deadlines looming, Cole's been under more pressure than ever to do well to secure his clerkship and he insists he'd rather put in all the hard work now than later when we might now have the time. He's got the entire summer planned out, reading lists galore and I'd be surprised if he somehow doesn't cover his final year of law by himself.