Chapter Five: I've Never Been More Willing To Empty Out My Wallet

April

Cole

I couldn't tell you anything about the meal shortcake and I shared tonight which is a shame because the place is almost impossible to get a reservation at and the prices steep. Still, I don't regret it for a second because I get to watch this gorgeous girl ooh and aah at the decor, lick her lips at the menu and then moan with pleasure as course after course arrived.

It takes a lot of patience on my end to sit through dinner and not toss her over my shoulder, get her on a bed and worship her body for the next twenty-four hours because yes, I've calculated the time and I know what time she needs to be at the wedding rehearsal and if we leave right now we'll have plenty of time to knock a few things off my wish list.

Ideally I would've liked to wine and dine her a little more, have her know that I've missed more than just her body but that dress and those damn shoes. I nearly had a heart attack when I walked into her room and she got up, showing all that leg. Tessa isn't one for pulling out the short dresses often but on the days that she does decide to bless me with the sight of those long, toned legs I find it hard to function. Right now they're hidden by the table between us but I'm just as distracted by her, by everything about her and every word that escapes her plump, glossy lips. Some say I'm whipped, I'd say I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't have someone in their lives who drives them to insanity.

"Can you believe that? That she'd just expect me to do her share of the work just because I asked her to help me that one time?"

"Huh?"

I'm not the best listener today, mostly because I have my mind on other things, in other places, like the proverbial gutter playing out my fantasies.

Tessa gives me a knowing lip and bites her lip, smiling. "Have you heard a word I just said?"

I shrug, "Would you blame me if I said no. I can barely tell you what I've eaten."

She licks chocolate mousse off her spoon and now I know she's just torturing me on purpose. "That's too bad, the food here is delicious."

"I was thinking of things far more decadent."

She blushes just like I knew she would and ducks her head. I want to kiss her so badly now that I reach for her hand across the table and squeeze, letting her know just how badly she affects me. If there's one thing I know for certain today is that I'm doing the right thing. However stupid my plan might, however rushed some might say it is but I know in my gut that this is exactly what needs to be done. Right now's a horrible time to be even thinking about it, there's so much going on back at school and I hardly have the time to breathe let alone think about make massive life changes but I'll do it in a heartbeat for her, I'll do anything for her.

I just won't stay away from her anymore.

She must have noticed the change in my mood because she asks softly, hesitantly like she's afraid to know what I'm thinking about. "What's on your mind Cole? Is there something you'd like to tell me?"

She's looking at me so earnestly and openly that my heart breaks. I don't know what I've done to earn her trust when I've shattered it repeatedly. From when we were kids to just a couple of months, there've been numerous occasions when I've royally fucked up and yet she still finds it in her heart to forgive, to still hold my hand and tell me that everything is going to be okay. She's so busy taking care of me, keeping my life together yet she still thinks I'm the one who's the protector, the one she needs to survive.