Chapter Sixteen: Nana's Desperate To Have Her Lion King Moment With The Kid

Cole

When I booked our flights to Bora Bora it was with the thought in mind that we'd spend most of it naked. I'd splurged out and gotten us a villa with a private beach so that we could do just that in complete isolation. Hey, I'd sat with Tessa and picked out the scantiest bathing suits money could buy just to further the endeavour of mission no clothes spring break. Little did I know that Tessa would get the worst kind of travel sickness on the flight here and would spend a good portion of our first day here locked up in the bathroom. I told her there was nothing I could see that would make her any less attractive in my eyes but she'd drawn the line and banned me from the villa so I spent a lot of time checking out our surroundings and trying to look at my phone every five minutes to see if there's a text from Tessa.

What I do receive are frantic texts from Beth because Tessa won't answer her calls or messages. She wants to keep the news private until after we hit the twelve week mark which means there's still some time left before I have to tell my dad and Cassandra. Just the thought of my stepmother has me shuddering because there's no way she's going to take this news well and I'm not about to let her have a go at Tessa like I know she will. But Tessa and I promised each other that we'd take this week, not to stress about things that aren't under out control any more but rather focus on each other because truth be told, things have been distant between us like they've never been before.

Sure we've fought and sure there have been huge misunderstandings and heartbreaks but there's never been a lack of passion in our relationship. With how awkward and stilted things have gotten in the past few weeks, I know I need to use this week to make Tessa see that we're still us and that nothing has to change. This pregnancy doesn't have to be the end of the world, in fact the more that I think about it the more...excited I feel. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that the timing isn't the best and it's probably going to take a lot of hard work to raise a kid when we're both at this stage of our lives but we're not exactly high school kids right now. We have an apartment that we can manage to pay the rent for on time, we pay bills, we remember to buy eggs, milk and flour at the grocery store and Tessa's even started implementing a bedtime for us so that we don't stay up the entire night watching MindHunter.

See, we got this?

And would a baby be that bad? No, of course not. Yes it's easier said that done but the more I read up on the subject and the more aware I get of the topic, so many couples struggle for years to get pregnant and I'm man enough to admit how I'd started choking up reading about people's struggles with infertility. Since then I've become oddly protective of Tessa and her not yet noticeable bump because we're lucky and even if we're not ready to be parents, when has life ever been predictable right?

I hadn't been prepared to lose my mother at such a young age but I did. I wanted my grandpa to stick around so that he could play with my kids but that never happened and I never thought in my wildest dreams that the girl I tried to get using the worst ever moves known to mankind would eventually love me back. So yeah, there's no smooth running in life and if this is one of those instances where we get tested then we're damn well going to smash it out of the park.

It helps when I give myself speeches like this one, especially when Tessa Calculated that the baby would be born near finals week next semester and I almost passed out, almost.

I put my phone back in my pocket since Tessa doesn't seem to be trying to get a hold of me and venture out into the property. I'd paid for this trip using some of the money I'd received during Christmas and so we'd ended up at The Four Seasons Resort here at Bora Bora and from what I can see right now, every cent is worth it. The resort overlooks a private beach with the clearest waters you'd ever see and has its own private beach. I see other people occasionally, those staying at either the above water bungalows or beachfront villas like ours which have views of Mount Otemanu. There's also a hell of a lot you can do here like the concierge told us this morning. I'm not sure if or when Tessa will feel up to but I get around to walking past the massive open air fitness centre and the waterfront spa, which I'm sure she'd love to come to in the morning. If that isn't enough and because I've got time to kill I also go around to the infinity pool, the tennis court and sign up for a free guided snorkeling tours of the lagoon for a later date. I'm told by the guide that we can also go kayaking or choose to take the catamaran cruises in addition to windsurfing and shark feeding. All of this sounds right up my alley and at long last after I've made sure I've given Tessa enough time to cool off I go back to our villa.