Chapter Four

"I can't believe you got arrested," Gibson said again. Hurt and betrayed, even though I did nothing wrong.

Sighing, I reminded him, "I wasn't arrested. I just had to make a statement. Answer a few questions."

"I had to call my dad," Gibson said, not even listening to me. He pressed his forehead against the cell bars while I sat at Officer Tanner's desk. Tanner had given me a water and a bag of crackers that, so far, went untouched. The water I used to gargle and spit back into the sink. They all kept telling me vomiting was normal. The pats on the back were a little belittling like I was an over emotional three-year-old.

The Somewhere Police Station was not a mecca of crime solving. With exception of the interrogation rooms, you could see the whole station. The cells lined the back wall in clear view of all the officers' desks. The ceiling was filled with cracks and water damage. Spiders made colonies and held world wars in the corners of the room. The same dozen families worked here since the dawn of time. The hardest criminal to ever walk through here was Harvey Fletcher, who flashed his genitals at the Somewhere High cheerleaders back in the 80s.

A murder was going to be the talk of the town. The phones were already ringing off the hook. Officer after officer spent the hour assuring the inhabits of Somewhere that it was still safe that they're looking into the death. No, they had to say, we haven't identified the body.

And my parents were going to find out I lied to them.

Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse.

"Well, well, well," a cool slimy tone slithered its way into the conversation.

I spoke too soon.

Sliding his long dark arms through the bars, Jamie treated getting arrested like it was any other Tuesday. Even locked inside a cell, he was the happiest guy in the room. His grin left a nasty film on my skin that I couldn't wait to go home and wash off. "Aren't you lucky Sammy to be on the other side of these bars? It's a good thing your white knight came to your rescue last night. Did he whisk you away to his castle? I do hope he didn't feel the need to be chivalrous, it's not like your virtue is intact."

I wanted to pretend he wasn't bothering me, but my enflamed cheeks were too honest, and my tongue was too fast. "Hey Jamie?"

"Yes?"

"Bite me."

"Gladly." He winked and thankfully, Gibson shoved the guy out of sight, back with the rest of the sad teens leaning against the wall. No one was brave enough to actually sit on the floor.

"Settle down in there," Officer Tanner warned them and Gibson faded into the background too. Officer Tanner played Santa every year for the local pre-schools. He was the guy who went door to door before the winter to ask for spare blankets to donate to the local shelters. He was the town's grandfather and as soon as he appeared in that alley way, a weight lifted from my shoulders. I knew he didn't mind the extra load.

With a smile, Officer Tanner used his thumb to motion to the door. "You're free to go Sam. Your ride is waiting for you outside."

"My ride?" I raised a brow as I stood and slid my arms back through my jacket. I drove here. I was going to be my own ride. I was going to use that time to come up with a clever excuse for my parents about being in that alley, about being anywhere near the station.

"Take care of yourself." He laid his hand on my shoulder. "If you need to talk, just call, alright?"

"I will. Thanks." I nodded, focused completely on the door. I forgot everything behind me or at least tuned it all out. I waved to some of the other guys, who knew me through my parents before I walked outside, breaking into the cool air. I expected to see my mom's van or my dad's new truck with the dent in the side.