Chapter Eleven

It was rare for Cooper to invite me over to his house.

We used to just hang out at my place.

Standing in front of his house now didn't bring out any nostalgia for me. If anything, it was more like the house on the end of the street that kids whispered about. Some people said it was haunted. One kid told me the basement was a graveyard, sitting on top of dozens of dead bodies.

I knew that wasn't true. What I had learned from my personal experience was that when the sun went down, and the Blackwood family retreated to their rooms or studies, the manor was still and quiet. The manor was cold, and the floorboards creaked. Any noise felt like a punishable offense. The only thing that died in that house was a good time.

"Come on Sam," Cooper chuckled. He was halfway inside his house with the door was wide open. "I don't think we're at that stage in our relationship where I should carry you over the threshold."

"Shut up." I stood frozen in front of the porch steps. In front of me was a marvel of brick architecture, complete with two stories and massive thick columns. Ivy clung to the right side of the house and slowly crawled towards the middle. Behind me was the fountain. The house was at the end of a very long driveway. The kind of driveway that gave you enough time to rethink your visit run for the hills.

"I'm coming," I muttered and cleared my throat. I ran after him into the grand foyer. It had wide stairs to create grand entrances. The main foyer was all tall ceilings and clear of clutter. It was space for parties. If memory served me correctly, the refreshments were usually here. Dad used to say the key to a good party was to give people drinks on the way inside and be sure there was someone close to refill the drink once it was empty.

"Sam," Cooper laughed again. He leaned over the stair railing. "It's just a house."

"You could fit my house inside your house."

"It's just for looks." He started walking back down the stairs, meeting me at the start. "There are too many rooms for just me and my parents. I can show you. There's a dozen locked rooms with nothing inside them. This is just a doll house, Sam."

"That just makes it creepier Coop," I frowned.

Even though it wasn't a joke, Cooper laughed again and led the charge. We walked up the stairs and we quickly walked into Moira Blackwood's study. It was completely wrapped with cabinets and shelves. She was a fan of wildflowers in green vases. Her desk sat in the middle, in front of a couple of leather chairs while a small chandelier hung over our heads. It was oddly homey for such a... I couldn't think of another word, other than cold, cold woman.

"Let's split up," Cooper said, already infiltrating his mother's desk. "Even if you think it might help a little, grab it. We need anything to lead us to the Claw."

"Right," I nodded. That was what we were doing, looking for clues. I opened one of the cabinets, revealing knick-knacks and office supplies, so I moved to the next one. The Claw must have been in the possession of the Blackwood family. It was the only thing that made sense if it was a "true alpha" that took the Claw into custody to keep it out of the hands of evil.

"Would someone even write this down?" I asked. "Doesn't it sound like sensitive information?"

"We've been the Alphas for generations," Cooper shrugged as he rifled through the files inside her desk. "There's probably a lifetime's worth of secrets every Alpha learns, and I doubt my mom has them all memorized."

"I'd never put anything past your mother." I laughed and glanced over my shoulder. I just gave him the briefest pass over and that was it, but something pulled my attention again. I looked again. He was frozen, looking over a pile of vanilla folders. I spoke up, "what's wrong?" He didn't answer, and my stomach twisted a little. "Coop?"