Chapter Twenty-Three

"Oh, my god," I sucked in a breath, gripping Cooper's arms tighter. A chill ran down my spine, staring into David Hawkin's empty eyes.

"Stay back, Sam," Cooper told me, pulling me behind him. "I've already lost you twice. I'm not trying to test my luck with a third time." He walked with purpose, hands curled at his sides. He stared directly into the entrance and its darkness. If he was afraid, he did an expert job of hiding it. Give the man an Oscar.

Out from the shadows, what almost looked like Christopher Nightingale and looked nothing like Christopher Nightingale appeared. The murders erased Christopher. The Claw erased Christopher by giving him veiny muscles that ripped opened his clothes. Fur grew from everywhere in thick gnarled strings. His features were pulled forward, transformed into a more wolf-like silhouette. This was the monster in old black and white movies with red eyes and sharp teeth that chased virgins. At his side, the golden Claw clung to his hand. Blood dripped off the edges of his four long metallic claws. David Hawkin's blood.

The air in the stadium electrified, people screaming and running out of their seats. A deep voice echoed out of Christopher, even though his mouth didn't move. My heart thrummed, pulsing through every muscle. Christopher announced, "I have defeated the Champion, Cooper. I am the chosen and I am the true heir to Somewhere. Are you ready to meet you maker?"

"There's a difference between you and I, even if we're both Alphas..." Cooper said as a blinding light encased him. After the flash, Cooper's wolf appeared and shook the ground when he landed. "You're all talk."

Hunkering low, Cooper narrowed his sights on Christopher, a growl crawling out of his throat. Every hair on my body stood at attention. This was the power of an Alpha. Two Alphas facing off and my heart jumped up to my throat. Suddenly, they locked into place, staring and revving their engines in this excruciating game of chicken.

As if slamming on the gas, Christopher's giant claw dropped into the dirt, cracking the ground open and he shot off. Cooper lunged, faster in his smaller state. He went low, right for Christopher's leg, but with one clean swiped, he smacked Cooper off the ground and panic ripped through me. "COOPER!" I shouted, stumbling into a run. Cooper's body flew, but when he hit the ground, he continued to tumble and roll right into the side of the stadium.

His wolf form whimpered as Christopher bellowed a laugh. "Not so tough now."

I dropped to my knees at Cooper's side. I slid my hand across his cheeks, holding his neck. "Cooper," I said, narrowing my brow. "I don't think you can treat this like a normal fight. That Claw, it's made him too powerful."

"I know," Cooper's voice whispered inside my head. Cooper opened his eyes, sharpening to the point of broken glass. He studied Christopher, who stalked closer. Cooper raised to his full height, strutting around me, my constant shield. He said, "It's true, he's strong and he's heavy, but what he's not is graceful and while he's drunk off that power, he's not thinking clearly."

"Let me help," I said after a beat. "I'm your mate." I waited, expecting to hear a rejection. I expected a fight. If it was up to him, I'd already be back on the stands, but if anything happened to him, I'd never be able to forgive myself.

Cooper raised to all fours, "okay. Okay. He's going to come at us and we'll run," He bore his icy blue eyes into me and I straightened my shoulders. He looked at me with complete trust with faith. He said, "but I need you to make sure he follows you. Once his back's turned..." Christopher's fist landed in the dirt again and he hunched over, aiming at us like a double barreled shotgun. "That's when I'll attack, but you have to promise me you'll run right to Lucinda and Bash and they'll pull you out-"