May 25th, 1944

Today was the final day the young couple had together before Barry finally left. For the greater part of the day, they went to all of their favourite places in town, including their spot. The beach. 

"Hey Barry," Caitlin whispered as they walked down the beach hand in hand.

"Hmm." Barry nodded, smiling at her.

"You know, that fantasy we made," he nodded. "And you said about us having a family," she continued. "I was wondering whether- I don't know- how long we're going to wait? After you get back, I mean," she explained, looking at him with hopeful and wide eyes.

"Whenever you want. If you want we could start trying when I get back," he replied and her a wide happy smile drew itself on her face and she jumped up and embraced him tightly.

"I would really like that," Caitlin whispered.

"I would really like that too," Barry replied, pulling away and kissing her passionately. 

And in this short moment, they lost themselves completely to the future and the dream that was going to come true if they hoped and prayed hard enough. And somehow they both knew that everything was going to be okay and that their love would survive the months, years even, that they would have to spend apart. No one knew when this wretched war would end but if they didn't have hope, what would they have left?

Soon the sun started to set and the couple headed back to their house. As they opened the door and stepped in a loud "Suprise!" filled the room and a whole party of people revealed themselves.

"Did you know about this?" Barry asked Caitlin, laughing.

"Yes, I planned it all too. I couldn't let you go without giving you a proper going away party. As something to remember me and everyone," Caitlin replied.

"I only need this to remember you," he pointed to his wedding ring and everyone awed. Smiling, they both leant in for a short kiss before commencing the party.

It seemed that Caitlin had invited the whole town. But it was a very closely knit community and everyone felt for the young couple. Especially, the widows of the town who had recently lost their husbands and the women who's husbands were still fighting in the war.

"Thank you, for all of this," Barry whispered into Caitlin's ear as they slow danced to some music that was playing.

"It was nothing. Besides, you deserve the perfect send off. And the perfect last night," she replied, smirking as she said the last sentence. "But the party isn't all for you, though, others are leaving tomorrow as well," she continued, her tone returning to its normal gentle voice and gesturing to the other young men in the room.

"Mind if I borrow your wife for a dance?" a young man asked. He didn't even wait for an answer and took her out of Barry's arms and into his own for a dance.

The couple laughed as she was dragged away and Barry watched her lovingly until a tap on his shoulder brought him back to reality. Nora Allen. His mother.

"I hope you come back to her. I want grandchildren," she laughed.

"Yes, mother. We've already talked about it actually. Once I return," Barry replied.

"Oh, that's wonderful!" she exclaimed with joy, clapping her hands and smiling happily. It had been the most genuine smile she had had in the last few weeks. Since Henry, her husband was killed in action. "I know that you are adamant that you'll return and not just for her sake-" she gestured and smiled in the direction of Caitlin who was still dancing with the young man from earlier with a huge smile of joy and delight, almost forgetting why they were having this party.  "-but, perhaps, you shouldn't get your hopes up. Or her's,"

Barry nodded. He knew what his mother was trying to say and she wasn't saying it out of hatred or spite. She was saying it because she loved and adored her son and daughter-in-law. She and Barry both knew the risks and so did Caitlin. But she didn't want them living in a fantasy world, which they had to admit that they were.

She knew that there may come a time where a telegram would be delivered to this house and she would be the one to comfort her daughter-in-law whilst trying to contain her own grief just like Caitlin had when the roles were reversed and Nora was the one who had lost her husband.

"I understand. But, we can't give up hope," he replied.

"And I don't want you to. I just want you to know and possibly prepare for the worst," she smiled and leant in for a hug.

After a few more hours, the party ended and the guests headed to their homes, leaving the couple alone in their home.

"So... We are finally alone," Caitlin smirked, walking towards her husband and wrapping her arms around his neck to pull him in for a kiss. "I love you," she mumbled against his lips.

"I love you too," he replied and they leant in again and quickly made their way up to their bedroom and spent their last night together. Possibly ever.

And their passionate night together was a promise without words. A promise that one day in the future they would be together again. In each other's arms again. Be close again. Have no space between them again. Drift off to sleep in each other's arms again. And live the fantasy that they had been dreaming of every night ever since he had proposed it...