June 4th, 1945

Caitlin woke up bright and early and immediately dressed for the day ahead. It was a Monday, and usually, she would be working, but her boss had granted her and many other nurses the day off so that they could see their husbands, fiances and sweethearts who were returning today. Thousands of soldiers were being sent home today, and the ship was transporting them would be in port in three hours. The port was located in the city which was an hour drive away from the small, quaint town they lived in. However, Caitlin wanted to arrive as early as possible as she knew that it would be very busy and the traffic would most likely be chaotic.

After dressing to her best and hastily ate her breakfast, before gathering her coat and car keys before getting into their car and pulling out of the driveway and making her way to the port in the city.

After an hour, she arrived and saw many other eager women there too. It seemed she wasn't the only one to want to get there early.

As the next two hours passed, more and more women arrived. Some with children, who eagerly waited for their fathers to return.

And as the sound of a boat's foghorn sounded in the distance, the sound of cheers and pure joy and happiness reverberated through the crowd as the ship edged towards the port and docked.

It took a while but soon the ship opened, and a flood of soldiers walked through it and slowly making their way towards the crowd, some injured, some healthy. All around her, Caitlin saw many lovers kissing to celebrate their reunion and families hugging. As people left, Caitlin was still left. She was very aware that only about three-quarters of this boat soldiers had left, and Barry was a part of that last quarter.

Next to her was a young woman, around her age possibly a little older, holding a small child in her arms, perhaps only a few weeks old.

"Beautiful baby," Caitlin complimented, gesturing to the infant in the young woman's arms with a smile. 

"Isn't she? Her name's Belinda. Her daddy went off to war after we got hitched then I found myself pregnant. Are ya waiting for your husband?" The young woman smiled with a strong southern accent, gesturing to Caitlin's rings.

"Yes, I am. My husband, Barry, left just over a year ago but he's alive and well, thank God. All this waiting is making me all jittery," Caitlin replied.

"I know what you mean. I can't wait for my Johnny to meet Belinda. I'm Alison. But everyone calls me Allie," Allie agreed.

"I'm Caitlin," and they shook hands. As they turned back towards the ship a small squeal of excitement and joy escaped from Allie's lips as she saw, who Caitlin assumed was her husband, walking off the boat. As soon as he laid eyes on Allie and Belinda, he ran towards them and hugged Allie tightly and kissed her before turning his attention to their small child.

Watching them, Caitlin realised that she desperately wanted that to be her and Barry's future. Having their own children and living happily ever after.

"It was real nice meetin' ya Caitlin," Allie waved goodbye as she and her now reunited family walked away with a full smile.

Caitlin slowly turned back in the direction of the ship and sighed happily then uttered the word 'finally' as she saw what, or more accurately who was now walking off the boat and towards her as soon as their eyes met.

As soon as they were within reach of one another, she jumped straight into his arms and whispered softly "I love you so, so, so much," and pushed her lips right onto his, reconnecting them after all the time that had passed since the last time they had been together. They stayed like that for many moments, completely caught up in their own personal love bubble.

"I love you too," he replied, and after sharing a long embrace, they walked away from the port together, on their way home, although the two of them were sure that they already were, as long as they were together. They were home.

And as they walked away, they left behind the war, the struggles, the pain and everything negative that had ever happened to them because right now all that mattered was that they were together again.

Barry and Caitlin.

Caitlin and Barry.

Because they were simply meant to be together for better or for worse, through sickness and in health, till death to they part.

The pair arrived in their home together, sneaking past everyone else. They would speak to them tomorrow. Right now, they wanted their first day and night together to be just for themselves and have it to themselves.

"I can't believe it's all over," Caitlin sighed, sitting down on the sofa, throwing off her shoes and propping up her feet on the pillows and closing her eyes to relax.

"Me neither, but it is. Now there is nothing to stop us," Barry replied, sitting beside her and cuddling her. "You know, when I was away it was the thought of you that kept me going and kept me alive. There were times when I didn't think I would make it but the thought of losing you saved me or at least encouraged me to keep on going,"

"I missed you, so, so much. Promise me that you'll never leave again," Caitlin replied, smiling weakly so it was more of a grimace.

"I promise. I want you forever, we're married remember," he promised, kissing her to prove it.

"Hey, let's go upstairs. To our room," she whispered, clearly having more than kissing on her mind.

And there on June 4th, 1945 they spent their first night together for over a year, making love like it was the first time. And honestly, it felt like the first time. They were both different and changed now. But maybe that wasn't such a bad thing.

One thing was for sure. They would never let go of each other now.