The first night

I supposed I was always meant to meet someone special; someone that pulled me like a magnet towards them, but I never imagined it would be a lonely boy in the midst of a storm, sitting at the edge of an empty college campus. Nevertheless, fate is fate.

His name, Unknown at the time, but ever so important to me now, was Oliver Ropes. I suppose I could write some stupid metaphor about how he pulled me towards him like a rope, but he was just a boy. And his last name was just an addition to his personality.

As I stretched out my legs over the tiled ground in front of me that night, a sense of choking fear overwhelmed me. But similarly, excitement made me buzz. It was the beginning of a brand new year, a new chapter and some would even say the start of my new life. Not that I believed in reincarnation, just that I would be living different to before, as if I had moved to another world and was living another life.

The storm fizzed and hissed in the air, growling at my every movement. My eyes scanned the sky, admiring the dense clouds and hints of rain that painted themselves against the black. Not even I knew why I made a conscious decision to sit on the balcony of my building. At the time I didn't consider being kicked out of college for disobeying the rules on my first night.

A hesitant creak of a sliding door nearby disturbed me. I turned to see a boy, wandering sneakily out onto the next door's balcony. I let out a giggle which was visually muffled by fog, but still, the brunette turned to look at me. He nodded in approval of my rebellious act, if one could even call it that. Ignoring the boy next to me, I continued admiring the skyline. The dull buildings created such a beautiful silhouette, I was tempted to capture this moment with a camera, but decided to keep it locked in my mind instead. Nobody else deserved to see this captivating moment, but me. And the boy, of course.

The brunette's eyes glanced at me, I noticed, as I kept my eyes fixed on the sky. His head turned quickly away, but then sheepishly began to face me again. Was I really that interesting? I didn't think so. He cleared his throat, destroying the tranquility in a single moment.
"You're breaking the rules." He croaked, softly. I smiled, trying to hide my shock that he had spoken to me. I re-thought his words before replying.
"By being on a balcony?" I replied, watching the clouds of my words float towards that beautiful sky.
"Yep. How did you get outside?" He asked.
I leaned back into the wall and rested my head on it's cold bricks, diverting my gaze away from him.
"I borrowed the keys." I smiled at the blackness above me.
He exhaled a small chuckle, "I wouldn't calling it borrowing." He replied.
"Well, that's what I did. Besides, you're just as much in the wrong as i am." I retorted, quietly into the night.
Light raindrops fell onto my lap and were absorbed into my jeans. I stared as the clear liquid became one with the denim.
"I suppose so." He whispered, putting an unlit cigarette between his teeth. I rolled my eyes, desperately wondering if there was anyone other than myself left in this world that didn't smoke.

The conversation ended there, the only other contact was unsubtle glances from his balcony to mine, but I didn't do the same. I never was any good at eye contact anyway. The beauty of the night faded as the sun disappeared behind then earth. Although the absence was only temporary, I felt lonely in a weird way. My watch read 9:01, I sighed. It felt so much later than that.
Exhaustedly, I made my way inside, grabbing my belongings from the ground and rising to my feet. The boy on the neighbouring balcony looked up at me suddenly.
"You had enough of the cold?" He mumbled, simultaneously blowing out a layer of smoke into the atmosphere. I nodded and stepped inside. The cold air was shut out by the slide of the door.

My bed called me. When my mum and I picked out those bed sheets, I felt grown up and mature. The thought of having my own space, in complete isolation, was equally intimidating and exciting. As I snuggled into the thin sheets, a thought crossed my mind.

How am I going to make friends on Wednesday?

Today was Monday, tomorrow there would be introductions to classes and all that pointless stuff, but then there would be classes on Wednesday. I was never a very confident and bubbly girl, although underneath my layers of insecurities and fear I was incredibly friendly.

I dreaded Wednesday.

[THANKS FOR READING SO FAR, IVE WRITTEN ANOTHER CHAPTER, IM JUST EDITING IT. LEAVE YOUR OPINIONS, ID LOVE TO READ THEM]