Angel

The following day, I was no longer shook up from my near death experience on the balcony.
Marianne, Avis and I planned a shopping trip to buy Halloween costumes for that night. Of course, Marianne being Marianne, she had chosen to go for a 'slutty nurse' costume.
"Don't you think I look cute though? Like totally bangable?" She exclaimed, turning around in the mirror to admire her own butt. I hated to admit it, but Marianne had an amazing shape, she always looked perfect. Her body was short, but her legs made up most of it. She was that perfect 'cute' height that boys liked.
"Yes. Totally bangable, Marianne." I rolled my eyes at her, moving out of the mirror so that I didn't obstruct the view of her curves. Avis snapped pictures of her in various poses, soaking up the limelight.
"So what are we dressing you up as?" Marianne turned to me, looking my body up and down. I could practically hear her thoughts.
Sexy teacher, sexy undead bride, sexy police woman.
"I was thinking an angel." I sighed.
"It's cute, but it could be dull, Auggie!" Avis exclaimed, shaking my shoulders. I looked at her lovingly, she had always been understanding of how I felt.
Marianne gave us both a disapproving look and began dragging me towards the costumes.
"Come on! Any of these would look perfect!" She assured me. A group of boys walked past, whistling at Marianne as she posed in her outfit.
"I kind of have my heart set on angel..." I smiled awkwardly as the boys circled us like hawks. She ushered me away and assured me she would find the perfect outfit for me. I wasn't convinced. Avis and I walked back into the changing area, awaiting the arrival of Marianne's picks.

When Marianne reappeared in the changing rooms, she held at least twelve different outfits, almost all of them containing the word 'sexy'. I nauseously scanned the clothing, silently judging her for even suggesting them.
"Sexy nun? Really, Marianne?" Avis cried in disbelief and handed the costume to me. Marianne laughed and shrugged her shoulders, explaining that the outfit was sexy because of the contrast between good and naughty. Avis and I nodded along.
"Okay I draw the line at sexy baby. That's pedophilia if I ever seen it." I laughed, throwing away the costume in utter disgust.
"Okay, whatever. I found a cute angel costume. I think we should all be angels." Marianne squealed, producing three angel outfits.
Although they weren't stereotypical holy angels, and wore much tighter fit clothing, I agreed to this decision.

The night of the party was a cold and clear one; each of the stars poked bright holes through the blackness like pin pricks. A single cloud blurred the moon, encasing it in foggy breath.
I could only pray that my night would be half as interesting as that captivating sky.

As Marianne, Avis and I strutted into the mansion, I suddenly felt out of depth. There were around 200 students, some my age and some much older circling the property. I wasn't expecting college parties to be this overwhelming.
Marianne, on the other hand, seemed in her element. It wasn't surprising, she had always seemed like the wild type that would have hosted the best parties in high school. The parties that losers like me would never have been invited to.
Avis had the same lost expression as me plastered across her pale face. We would have probably been friends in high school, she seemed like my type of girl.

"Right!" Marianne exclaimed, clapping her hands, "I will get us some drinks."
She skipped away towards the drinks table, leaving Avis and I bewildered as ever in the centre of the party.
"I'm gonna be honest with you. This is my first party." Avis laughed, swaying from side to side with the music. It must have been subconscious; Avis wasn't the type to dance.
"It's not my first, but I'm definitely not used to this type of party." I replied, watching her hips move involuntarily. She was wearing some musty, almost manly scent that perfectly captured the essence of Avis.
Marianne waltzed back over, moving her body to the beat and she stepped. I giggled at her movements. Avis and I were handed plastic blue cups, filled with some bright red liquid that smelt like a mixture of cherries and my uncle's caravan.
"What is this?" I sniffed the solution cautiously, swirling it around in my cup.
"Cherry liqueur and tequila." Marianne replied, taking a huge gulp of the cocktail.
"That's not two drinks that are usually mixed, Marianne." Avis laughed, crinkling her nose at the bitter taste.
"Well, that's what we've got!" Marianne finished the whole cup off in seconds and turned back to Avis and I, seemingly unamused, "let's dance my angels."

At first, I danced awkwardly, keeping my arms and legs stiff and rigid to avoid bumping into my neighbours. However, three cocktails later, it was a different story. The girls and I danced like crazy, laughing the whole time and having a generally amazing time.

I couldn't help but admire the people around me, dressed in cheap amazon costumes. The multicoloured lights swayed around our bodies as a mixture of sweat and alcohol poured on the floor. Nobody danced in unison, we were all flailing in unorganised and chaotic beauty.

After a while, Marianne was whisked away by some intoxicated boy in a wizard costume. His dark eyes pulled on her, just as his arms did.
Avis and I continued to dance, soaking up the night.

When I awoke, the music was still blasting in my ears and she sickening smell of cherry liqueur infested the room. But I was no longer on the dance floor, I was laying on the floor of a large bathroom, vomit pooling around my body.
I tried to stand, but was pushed gently into the corner. I supposed it was Avis wiping my face and hushing me as I tried to talk. I could smell that manly scent once again.
But then she kissed me, and I fell back under consciousness. Her lips were soft, but gentle, pushing me away, but simultaneously pulling me towards her body. They were the poison that put me to sleep.

The next time I awoke, I was at home, in my dorm room. The covers were wrapped around my body, almost swaddling me like a baby.
I was damp with sweat, perhaps urine, but probably not. I looked over at the clock. It read 4am.
I grumbled, peeling the duvet from my skin and throwing my body out of bed uneasily. I could still feel the alcohol in my system, making my movements unsteady.
As soon as the cold water hit my face, all the memories of the night seemed to become clear. I remembered so much more than I had expected.

I remembered Avis.